Any runners out there?

N

Thought I'd start a thread about something a bit different...

I've just started running, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time because although I am quite strong and in fairly good shape from horse riding most days, my aerobic fitness is quite frankly appalling. So I spent an extortionate amount of money on some posh trainers that were professionally fitted, and a classy little leggings/skirt combo from Nike - I figured that if I had an acceptable outfit that would spur me on a bit!

I went out for 25 mins with my brother (a good runner) on Sunday and it was tough, I did have a few short walking breaks and I was pretty tired when I got home. Loved it though and felt really good that evening. I have also recruited some more running buddies who are more at my level and a friend and I are planning on doing a Race for Life so hopefully that will give me a bit more motivation. I was going to go for a run this evening but have only just finished the work that I needed to get done today so not enough time really - definitely tomorrow though.

I'm just after advice from the more experienced runners on PGF - assuming some of you are? If anyone else is trying to get fitter - maybe we could start an exercise accountability thread or something??!

Nxx

D

Love the idea of a bit of mutual motivation! I am moving to London shortly and it's a joke between myself and my boyfriend that I have to start running as it's something "everyone" in London does... but I do want to lose some weight and it's a great way to do so!

I walk a lot already but want to push it up to the next level. So I'm in!

C

I started running about 18 months ago, but I improved incredibly slowly!  So well done on doing 25 mins non stop on your first try! I think I would have collapsed when I first started.  I did a 5k race for life last year and then didn't improve after that much but tried to go out at least once a week. I signed up for a 10k this year to force me to make more time for running, joined a lunchtime running club at work and it's worked, I'm noticing huge differences in my fitness and mental health! 

I too bought expensive running shoes at the beginning it does work to motivate you, and as I 'severely over-pronate' when I did try with normal trainers I got shin splints!

Keep it up! It's so good as a stress reliever as well as for your fitness which I'm guessing will come in handy when I begin my PhD later this year!

N

Thanks Caro and DanB - I've just come back from my second run and although it was only about 15 minutes I definitely ran more and walked less so hopefully I'm starting to improve a little bit maybe being on my own helped as well.

Dan - your bf is right, I'm in London and practically everyone runs so I thought I should join the club! Do you know where in London you're moving to yet?

N

======= Date Modified 20 Apr 2011 19:28:05 =======
Edit: double post