Baby Names

M

My sister is pregnant with triplets and I get to name one of the baby girls! She only asked me to do this two weeks ago, the babies are due in April and since triplets are often early I might have to make a decision very soon! AND I've drawn a complete blank. Any suggestions?!

P

Mmm, I am always dissapointed when people choose very ordinary names or ones that are very popular at the time (my own name is actually quite typical of that:p). So my "recipe" for name giving: 1st name - choose some intruiging, unusual without going overboard or choosing something that is terribly difficult to spell/say. Middle name - choose something you really love/something traditional, e.g. name of inspirational figure(whatever)/ name of grandparent, favourite auntie/uncle. If you can give more than one middle name, then that's great and the second middle name can be wild again!8-)
Have fun(up)

my personal 'saved' name for a girl - which I don't mind telling as if you steal it I don't know you so won't mind! - is Erin. Love it, just hoping no one I know steals it before I get to use it. My hubby's irish so will be really good! Although I have been told you can have any name lined up and when they're born you just think a completely different name suits.

J

It's lovely that your sister is letting you name on of her babies!!

Girls names I always find the hardest.. I think there are a lot more likeable boys names out there. I agree with Poppy, though. You don't want a name that everyone her age is going to have because it's popular. I'm all for the different, intriguing names. Don't go celeb though and name her after a fruit/vegetable/car/royalty.

An alternative is to find a more traditional name, and give it a twist. My niece is called Mai (said May), which is quite a traditional name, but the spelling is Japanese, which encapsulates what my brother and sister in law are all about. The Japanese meaning is also different to the traditional meaning, which I like.

Good luck with it though!!

P

My saved name is "Lyra"

From Lyra Belaqua of 'His Dark Materials' - the wonderful pre-teen, brave and cheerful and kind.

T

My brother, sister and I all have fairly uncommon names, and while there's been a few cracks at our expense over the years, I think we all like having something a bit unique. I always find boys names easier than girls, but a few I like are Kitty, Rosa (both family names), Aurelia and Anica.

T

Quote From phdbug:

My saved name is "Lyra"

From Lyra Belaqua of 'His Dark Materials' - the wonderful pre-teen, brave and cheerful and kind.

Hehe, that was mine when I was a teenager bug! I even had it as my online name at one point :$

isabell is supposed to be really popular at the mo because of twilight. Some of the ones in my family...

Harriet
Rosalie
Eleanor
Madeleine
Alice
Jenna (jennifer)
Anoushka

M

Oohh Rosalie and Eleanor are both really sweet. I also quite like Ava, Gabrielle, Tara, Bethany. Aghh decisions!!

I would caution against calling her something you hate the shortened version of. My friend called her daughter Katherine, but hated Katie/Kitty/Kate and just said that she wouldn't call her daughter those shortened versions, but then all her classmates call her katie now, which she didn't bank on, and she hates it!

======= Date Modified 16 Feb 2010 12:39:38 =======
======= Date Modified 16 Feb 2010 12:38:54 =======
Hi Maria, I like Mariella, Marietta, (the names I would give to a little girl if I ever had one - perhaps in another life!), Pippy (the name of a friend's daughter - but also a name I've always loved, I called a kitten that once), Julianna, Rosa, Rose, and Tangina - I have a student by this name, so lovely! Oh, also Marissa is lovely.

Eleanor is fabulous, I think - so elegant, but not posey.

I think Lizzie always has something too.

N

Congratulations for the triplets, its lovely that you get to name one. I like names spelt unusually as well but in a classy way (not like Kaycee for Kacey etc!), like my name is pronounced Natasha. I also think its nice to have a family name as a middle name.

I quite like Carina, Amelia, Tara....also some celebrity ones that are quite nice are Coco (Chanel), Lila and Luna.

ooh, I love Luna! How about tamara or tatiana? my other half wants to call any son we have wolverine - its not joke either! I'm trying to get him to compromise on logan.

S

I like Quiana and Zanthe or Xanthia

M

I tend to like names that are simple but uncommon and sound pretty. Really like Alanna, Sorcha, Felicity, Beth, Ailise. and of course Luna is lovely.