Birthday present advice: What's a suitable present for a one year old?

B

I'm having a slight panic today as I have to buy a present for my nephew's first birthday next week and I have no idea what to get a one year old. I have no children myself and very little idea of what would be suitable. Can I get a picture book of some kind, or is he too young? Also, he already has millions of soft toys so I don't want to get him yet another one of those. Any ideas would be very welcome.

A

Picture books are excellent. Go to the children's section of a good bookshop and ask for advice. Clothes are always welcome (especially by parents) Choose something practical that you would dress your own child in (if you had one). Choose 6 months bigger and suitable for season at that time. Try Adams, Mothercare, ELC, etc.

B

Thanks soooo much for that... I was thinking of clothes this afternoon, but would never have known to get 6 months bigger! If you don't know about young children, it can be very hard not to make those sorts of mistakes. Thanks again.

S

kiddies toys have minimum age recommendations written on the boxes. just go into a toy store and buy something for the appropriate age-group.

B

Thanks swantje, but I've definitely decided on clothes, not toys.

A

Woolworths is good for clothes.