Christmas Card Etiquette

I've noticed a couple of guys in my office are giving Christmas cards to their supervisors (they are in a rather large group so the card was signed by 10 or so students). I'm not in a group an so if I were to send Christmas cards to my supervisors (I have 2) they would be just from me. The whole idea seems a bit odd to me and I think I would feel a bit awkward about it. I was just wondering what everybody else does?
EV. x

W

Hello Ev, I've never given my supervisors a Christmas card and wouldn't. I am a bit of a cheapskate though and have been to ask that any card sent to me be written in pencil, so that I can rub it out and then send it back to the senders, thus making us equal. I don't suppose it would do any harm though, and I think it is quite thoughtful.(tree)

B

I've never given my supervisors a Christmas card. I wish them merry Christmas, but that's it.

I only give Christmas cards to family and extremely good friends. Oh and some neighbours.

C

I would probably feel a bit uncomfortable about giving them an xmas card too, but that's only because I don't really know them well enough. But imagine how chuffed you would feel if your sup sent you one - you would think that it was quite a thoughtful thing to do, the fact that you were important enough to send one to - you were thought of. I know I would be chuffed about that. I suppose the reason I wouldn't make the first xmas card move is because I would be too preoccupied with my own anxieties about it, rather than the nice xmasy spirit behind the kind and friendly gesture. (tree)

i haven't this year cos I'm lazy, but my sup has already phoned me to say she has left a present in my office to pick up :-)

P

Oh, this whole xmas card thing gets me really confused, every year. Some people, whom I am not even close with, give me cards and I dont prepare cards most years, so I look like a fool - only receiving never giving, not really in the xmas spirit, right?!
Last year, one of my sups gave me (and others of course) a xmas card, a quite nice one, and I dont really know what to do. There are so many other things to sort out before xmas that I cant be thinking about xmas cards! Ahh - I cant cope! (sprout):$

M

I sent my supervisors a card and deliberated for AGES about what to write inside them. In the end I put "A Very Merry Christmas from Maria x" Rather than 'LOVE MARIA'. I was then told that even the 'x' was a bit inappropriate but I don't really care, it's Christmas. M,x

B

Quote From sneaks:

i haven't this year cos I'm lazy, but my sup has already phoned me to say she has left a present in my office to pick up :-)

Wow, what a nice sup!

M

I've never given my supervisor a Christmas card. I'd also feel a little uncomfortable doing so. Crickey, maybe I should have over the years.

@Walminski, yes that is cheapskate! ;-)

T

I have sent my supervisors cards because I haven't seen them for a while (am on maternity leave). I don't send cards to people I see every day anyway.

K

I guess it depends on how well you know them and how often you see them. I gave my primary supervisor one but not my secondary supervisor....mainly because he is on a different site and I don't see him much. If he had been in our set of offices I would've given him one. But then I am in a team of about 10 of us who work quite closely together so I gave them all one, some of the team give everyone a card back and some don't bother. If it seems a bit odd I wouldn't bother...maybe just wish them a happy xmas in your next email! KB

C

I found a Christmas card on my desk this week signed from somebody, let's say "John". It really confused me, I kept staring at it thinking that I don't know anyone called John and who had possibly sent me this card. Then I realised that John was, of course, my supervisor. :$

I think it was just the Christmas card etiquette that surprised me - I never thought sup would send me a card so it took a while for me to connect it with him! Although, maybe it's something else!
(snowman)

S

Hi EV

I am most definitely giving my sup a Xmas card, and a present too, something small, like a box of chocs. She's fabulous, and has done so much for me this year - employing me, supervising me, writing articles with me and supporting me academically. I think it's important to thank her as she's done so much extra for me.

P

Quote From Sue2604:

Hi EV

I am most definitely giving my sup a Xmas card, and a present too, something small, like a box of chocs. She's fabulous, and has done so much for me this year - employing me, supervising me, writing articles with me and supporting me academically. I think it's important to thank her as she's done so much extra for me.

Hi all, ditto ditto ditto Sue, but couldnt get a pressy so, made a silly little card and stuck artwork etc on top, and put in a nice and sweet message thanking her for a fab 2009, and she was v pleased and I got a hug! :-)

C

Bug, maybe in the new year you could leave an apple on her desk!

;-)

Here's an xmas present for you (gift)....shhh...it's full of cyber hugs! Doh! I've ruined the surprise.