emailing big files

S

hi, does anyone know a free website/facility for emailing big files?
I need to send a file that's 150MB.
I can split it up to 30MB each too but how do I send this.
Thanks very much
love satchi

M

Try Dropbox - http://www.dropbox.com

I think you get 2Gb of space first off. It's a file sharing utility - so you can set up a folder which you can then give someone else access to - then they can login and download the file you've uploaded (if that makes sense!). No need to email...

Good for handy online backup of important files too...

B

If you use Dropbox you can send a link to the file to your recipient. It should easily handle that 150MB file, and you get 2GB free storage space.

B

Ah great minds think alike :)

M

Quote From BilboBaggins:

Ah great minds think alike :)

8-)

Although, talking about Dropbox and backup has reminded me that I should probably copy my dissertation draft up to it... oops...

S

oh I haven't used it before!!!
thank you so much, will go see now
love satchi :-) :-) :-)

S

hi everyone I have the page open now; if I use dropbox, does this mean that the people I send the file to have to use dropbox too?
love satchi

S

I suggest Dropbox. It could take a 150MB file easily. In fact, it gives you 2gb of memory!

Great minds may think alike, but lesser minds plagiarise.

B

Quote From satchi:

hi everyone I have the page open now; if I use dropbox, does this mean that the people I send the file to have to use dropbox too?
love satchi

Not if you share the file by putting it in your Public folder, and creating a Dropbox link for it and emailing that.

S

how do i make a public folder?
thanks
love satchi

B

You should already have a Public folder when you set up your Dropbox login. It's set up automatically, ready for you to use.

S

oh thanks so much! I didnt know that its in dropbox. I thought I had to create it somewhere else.
ok will do it now
thanks a lot
love satchi

K

You can also use yousendit, the free service of which allows up to 100mb. There is a handy downloadable client which allows you to right-click on a file and send it pretty much right away, no hassle.

Just another option for you.

S

hi killahtron
thanks very much. I will have a look at it as well. I googled sending big files and "transferbigfiles scam" came up. It seems dangerous, although I didn't read that scam part that had come up.

love satchi