Hypothetical question Off-topic

J

We are all leading very busy lives, trying to make progress in our Ph.Ds, trying to satisfy our advisors, our department, parents, partners etc.

But what life are you all secretly dreaming of, when you forget all these every day committments for a second?

S

umm, i dream of being a researcher, but without all the stress and deadlines. leading a small research team, and working with lots of great people. getting good research results and helping others get good results and write well, too. at the same time i have a house somewhere with my partner, and kids, and on the weekends we go out cycling and hiking and building dams in the streams. we go skiing regularly, and my kids all have interesting hobbies at which they are good at and enjoy. my friends often come to see us, sometimes for a whole week, and we discuss interesting stuff the whole night long. i sleep in the mornings as long as i need to, and then get up to a new, wonderful day!

O

Having a small farmhouse or cottage in the country on about 10 acres, with my lovely sheepdogs, and a small herd of hobby sheep, raised for their fine wool, but never for their meat!!!!! And a few acres of organic pastureland, for a nice lawn ornament horse. The house would have a huge wood burning fireplace and a pot belly stove ( ala American style) and be nestled under a few large and ancient cottonwood trees, near a small stream.

H

Being a F1 driver

C

I would be working at the Naturhistoriska riksmuseet in Stockholm, and be married to either popstar Martin Rolinski, or hockey player Mats Christeen. My research on the cultural history of the Swedish elk (älg) would take me far into the frozen north.

C

Sorry, should be spelt: Mats Christéen

S

Just call me Mrs Alan Rickman

O

Oh and I would write poetry and novels, and occasionally have book signings at some cool independent coffee houses.

R

I dream of winning the lottery and then taking off with my other half on a never-ending round-the-world trip. Just bought a ticket so that dream could become reality in less than 2 hours time woohoo!!!!!!

@ Sixkitten... Alan Rickman??? Seriously??? Ok if you're sure - I'll buy him for you when I win tonight

R

Although might I suggest Brad Pitt or Sawyer (from lost) as an alternative?

S

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Brad Pitt is ***disgusting***, Alan Rickman is far far superior. Saying that, my desert island chums will be Jeremy Paxman, Ricky Wilson from the Kaiser Chiefs, and one of my students whose both very clever, cute and funny as hell. (Gotta rotate them, or they'll get tired of entertaining me!).

S

Alternatively I have planned a few scenarios
1) I am a mad old lady living in a cottage in the middle of nowhere in Scotland, with lots of cats, tartan blankets, and a highland cow called Morag. I'd just read all day.
2) I am Grand High Priestess of the World: all men live underground in a giant cave/bar complex. There is a giant database of all those men who are allowed to the surface for entertainment and mating purposes. As their home is a cave/bar complex, they will have to be led to the surface by clones of lobotomised Margaret Thatchers who will sober them up.
3) I would become David Hasselhoff's official stalker until he agrees to live in my basement to be brought out at parties.

F

Hi Jouri,

This is the ultimate question that keeps me going through all this.

As for myself, I would be working in a small yacht marina along the coast here somewhere doing admin, leasing out wet berths to the sailors, talk to the sailors, welcome them, help them, see them off again.

Small life, simple, content.

What you you?
Cornelia

H

lol sleepyhead at number 2!!!!!

T

I want to open a Zonkey farm!