I am a bit lost...please help

A

Hi guys

would just like to say how awesome this site is for giving out guidance to people like me. Well I have just finished my UG studies at Loughborough University, in Sports Technology and currently awaiting my results...hopefully I am on a high 2:1-first :D

However at the moment I feel entirely lost. I am quite positive I want to continue my studies in this area but not sure if I should do a masters or a PHD..and more importantly in what! I am generally interested in "Product Creation, Development and Engineering" but have no idea what Universities, courses etc to look for. Where do you start from?

Thanks in advance for your time

Alex

K

Hi there! If you are sure that you want to continue your studies in that area then I would opt for a masters degree to start with. I don't know much about your subject area but if you could find a masters that is part research and part taught then this might be a good way to go- the taught bit might help you work out exactly what area you are most interested in, and the research part would give you a good indication of whether you enjoy the research side of things before you jump into a PhD. With respect to universities just have a look on the uni websites and see which masters courses look best for what you want to do- it would probably be useful to look at the research which is being done at each uni too, and see if you can find a uni that seems to match your interests. You should be able to find out about the research interests of each uni on their website. Good luck, KB

N

Hi Alex, Like you I've just finished my UG degree and nervously awaiting my results, have a place at my uni to do an MSc in a really interesting area so I'm sorted, as long as I get a 2:1. Is there anything at your present university that you like the look of?

KB has given you great advice, all I can add is maybe talk to your tutors if they're still around and they may have suggestions/contacts that could help you. I have no idea about that subject area so can't help you much there, but I think a Masters would definitely be the best option. Also if you're applying to start this year you don't have that much time left, I think you would need to get your application in by July and you'd need academic references as well so I would contact your tutors first. Good luck, Natassia

H

Hi Alex

I am also at Loughborough and just finished my UG degree. I have just been offered a studentship to do a PhD in the Geography department and will be starting in October.

I was also confused whether to do a masters or go straight on to PhD and my department were really helpful. even if you don't want to stay at Loughborough im sure your department will be able to help you. As i understand it in many cases you can skip the masters if they feel you are ready to begin research at PhD level straight from UG. In my case i was carrying on a topic from my UG dissertation so this is why i skipped the masters. I would say to speak to the department or even the careers center at Loughborough who are also great. If you decide to apply for PhD studies you will have to do a proposal which my department also helped me put together.

Also it is normal to feel lost at this stage. even though iv been made an offer i feel like i don't know what to do - its a big decision to carry on studying so don't worry about being a bit lost with it all!!

Good luck with your applications! :)

F

Hannah

I am currently writing up in the geog dept at Luf! So if you want to meet any of the current PhD gang and advice leave me a message!

Fi

J

I would go for a masters first, it gives you a sound basis for working at a level that is different from that required for a degree.