i got drunk and am now mortified

M

Thanks for your posts guys; I have woken up feeling decidedly less cringed out than yesterday. I'll keep a low profile for a few days and hope it's all forgotten soon enough. Such a liability.xxxx

C

I am quite an uptight person, so I wouldn't ever take my own advice for academic engagements, just this post got me thinking about my own behaviours here...

I find it incredibly difficult to "let go" so in front of colleagues I never have alcohol and find it embarrassing to eat in front of them (not that I am a messy eater, it just makes me feel vulnerable somehow). I like to remember everything I have said and that has been done. But then, this hardly makes me the most affable and charming party guest. So, maria1 don't worry too much - it was a party just prior to Christmas, and you were chatty and people probably enjoyed talking to you and having a good time. People probably had a good time, and so did you. :)

Bee-JAY-sus Clogmeister, I think my PhD so far consists of a 5-figure alcohol expenditure as well as a 5-figure education cost, resulting in a 2-figure IQ and a single figure amount of friends.

J

as others have said, this incident will soon be lost in the mists of time. don't worry about it (your a student, and can be forgiven because of that). My worst experience was when we took a friend out to celebrate her birthday, she got drunk and a bit upset about her boyfriend not being there. Pub was halfway down the - very steep -hill, and we lived at the top. She came out of the pub and turned down the hill and it took three of us to get her turned in the right direction (To cries of ' I'm alright, I'm not drunk', but she so was :-() it was like trying to move a lorry. anyway back at the flat she vomited all over her bed, which we had to change obviously, but our very keen-eared landlady lived downstairs and disapproved of 'noises' from the flat at night :$, trying to get the sheets etc. washed was a bit of a nightmare. It was a long time before we let her forget that one, but you were nowhere near that bad. Pretend nothing happened and I expect others will do the same. Incidentally no truly cultured person would dream of commenting on the lack of culture exibited by another - that would be a very uncultured thing to do!

C

Quote From joyce:

Incidentally no truly cultured person would dream of commenting on the lack of culture exibited by another - that would be a very uncultured thing to do!

This made me smile and laugh. I research an areas in 18th century British history and that sentiment in a modified form could come from that period's conduct books ;-) The pains to which one can go to to appear cultured, genteel, and polite always make me want to giggle. (and at the same time attempt to emulate them) ;)

E

Quote From ginga:

Bee-JAY-sus Clogmeister, I think my PhD so far consists of a 5-figure alcohol expenditure as well as a 5-figure education cost, resulting in a 2-figure IQ and a single figure amount of friends.

excellent. nice reply Ginga ;)

V

Don't worry about. More embarrassing things can happen. It's called life. At least you have the excuse you were drunk. They won't even remember it (or most of it) in a month or so time. I bet they've done worse things in important company in their time.

C

Ha ha ha absolutely hilarious! :-) That's such a brilliant story! What an experience!
Seriously, don't worry about it. Yes, I would be absolutely cringing with embarrassment if it happened to me, but later you'll have a right laugh about it when you share the story with others! It's called BEING human; living! It's times like these that make life so interesting....

Also....later when we've all forgotten, you could always add it to the confessions post! :-)