I need grammar help (again)

F

======= Date Modified 01 Apr 2012 17:12:01 =======
Hi,

I'm trying to write something that needs to be submitted today, and i'm getting annoying "Fragment consider revising" errors from Word. Now, i'm not sure that i agree with word... but I would like some feedback from real people before i decide to ignore this particular suggested revision.

So, is this a sentence? Or a fragment? (Also, i know "we" isn't ideal, but this is just an application to attend a student consortium, so in this context it's ok).

We argue that the AI community’s research agenda should evolve to include e-type objectives.

(AI and e-type to retain some sense of anonymity)....

If it's a fragment and I should revise it, could someone please help me to do so?

Thanks in advance,
FP

P.S. Actually, I've now removed that sentence as I have found a better way of putting it. However, I would still like to know if this really is a fragment, or if Word is stressing me out unnecessarily?

C

I ignore most of word's grammer corrections. I often get "fragment consider revising" and generally don't revise it. To me that sentence sounds fine.

H

Yes, I would ignore that correction too. Don't forget that academic English has its own rhythms that deviate from some of the preferred rules in 'nicer' forms of written English. I wouldn't get too hung up on things like that.

F

Thanks. I'm glad other people agree with me rather than stupid Word :-)

It's that tricky moment when the computer doubts you, which causes you to doubt yourself and there are no humans around that you trust to check it! It's good to know there are helpful humans on this forum :-)