I need some new hobbies...any ideas?

P

Finishing my thesis and not working has made me realise I have very few "hobbies". Not arty or crafty, never learnt another language (except Mandarin and Indonesian at school), and don't play sport because very uncoordinated. I am pretty much a boring sod and have only gotten away with it until now because I always had the student/PhD excuse. Any suggestions?

P

Bikram yoga?
Gardening?
Book club?

M

Mountain biking
Swimming
Patchwork quilt - making
Automobile repair

All of which I fully intend to master when I submit...

J

I don't have any either; but who really has "hobbies" these days? Embrace your boringness!

H

I definitely wish I had more time for my so-called hobbies:

Cross-stitch (which is VERY easy)
Knitting
Baking (actually this is more to do with trying to cut down on fatty food)

I quite enjoy doing girlie home economics type of things even though I can be such a tomboy at times. I can sew too but never have enough time to spend on it.

The one hobby I ALWAYS have time for is READING! Just ordered some books for the hols!

J

Baking only works if you have a large family or circle of friends to eat the results, otherwise you end up scoffing it all yourself (like me).

Tomb Raider is fun, but does get in the way of work. Mind you, you've submitted now

A

Mine are mainly biking and baking (one is essential to counteract the effects of the other, lol!). Bought a new mountain bike yesterday, woohooo!!

P

Wow, you girls are great! Thanks.

Hmmm...I mountain bike a bit, but haven't for a while so should pump up my tyres and get back on my bike.
I LOVE baking, but have the same problem as some of you of eating what I cook (my boyf called my bottom "an amorphous mass not dissimilar to a stress ball" the other day).
A friend taught me to knit last year and I would love try again, so that is a great idea.
Book club I thought would be great to meet new people because we are still new to our city and it gets a bit lonely here.
Never tried cross stitching, but used to go out with a guy who did it when he was stressed. When it was exam time, boy, did his cross stitch kit get a working out! For Christmas that year I got a framed cross-stitch of a mouse with "Merry Christmouse" written under it. I had to vow I would never tell his friends he did it!

Keep the ideas coming.

H

Buy a nintendo ds! The games are great, I sold mine as I found it too addictive.

I have sims2 as well, which I have managed to limit myself (or my laptop is too slow...).

P

Confession: I have never played Nintendo, Gameboy, XBox or any of those game thingys. Last one I played was PacMan in about 1984.

S

I was the same until I saw Viva Pinata (hadn't played anything for years)...now have an XBox...I'm really impressed that Microsoft converted me.

Hi Piglet. Are there any part-time and/or evening classes you can attend where you live? You can get to try a few things that you always assumed you weren't good at (or interested in). It's surprising how much you'll enjoy some of these things. Even traditional art and crafts or singing etc.

I tried Zap-catting 2 weeks ago. It was a birthday surprise for my boyfriend, but I fell in love with it. Amazing. Buying a ticket for an experience can also give you ideas about what you like and what you don't. Most rides or experiences get cheaper if booked by groups.

F

404, that is exactly what I plan to do now. I want to try some evening classes. I am having trouble understanding that I no longer need to work all weekend and bank holidays, so don't know what to do with my time. I think I am going to try something fun and random!

A

Gosh Piglet, your boyfriend is very articulate (all be it rude!) in referring to your rear end as "an amorphous mass not dissimilar to a stress ball". My boyfriend puts far less literary effort into his insults!

N

Mmmmmmm... singing in a choir? You don't need to be able to read music to join most of them, nor to have had learnt had to sing. And you get to know loads of interesting people.