Is an LLM worth it?

Is an LLM worth it? Most I talk to seem to think a JD is enough and an LLM is not worth it. I am still interested in the idea of getting one though. Anyone here have any information that can help? Anyone here have one or thought about getting one themselves?

O

If you're set on a career in law, and can't get any work experience, take a more practical focused LLM in the area/s of law you're specifically hoping to work in. You should already have demonstrated your academic ability on the degree/GDL and LPC. If you're a bit more open-minded about your future career, the LLM is a way of getting an internationally recognized qualification which could make you more appealing to other employers than you might be to a law firm- law will always be a great background degree, and many top business people were once law graduates. Relevant work experience is always going to be more attractive to an employer, so keep applying, but in the meantime, if you have some spare cash, it may well be worth doing.

Quote From oortiz:

If you're set on a career in law, and can't get any work experience, take a more practical focused LLM in the area/s of law you're specifically hoping to work in. You should already have demonstrated your academic ability on the degree/GDL and LPC. If you're a bit more open-minded about your future career, the LLM is a way of getting an internationally recognized qualification which could make you more appealing to other employers than you might be to a law firm- law will always be a great background degree, and many top business people were once law graduates. Relevant work experience is always going to be more attractive to an employer, so keep applying, but in the meantime, if you have some spare cash, it may well be worth doing.

Thanks. Did you get an LLM yourself, or is your grad school in a different field?

H

Are you based in the UK? If so, do some research into the realities of the job market in whatever law speciality you're interested in. I know nothing about the law myself but I have a number of friends at different stages of law careers who have hit barriers in progression due to the effects of the economic crisis. By the time you finish your qualifications things might have sorted out, but you need to have a realistic view of the job market before committing yourself to further training (and any costs that would incur).