Lack of daily progress - identifying the reasons

W

Today has thus far been a write off. I've got a headache, a cold and another problem that's really embarrassing it deserves a separate sentence. I've got a spot on my bum and it really hurts when I sit down :-( What can you use to get rid of spots? I've heard tooth paste helps but I'm not putting that on my backside. Anyway, however ridiculous that's my reason for today. Does anybody have any similar perculiar reasons for a lack of daily progress? I'll bet not.

well, I have wasted all week waiting for glasses to arrive (the eye kind), a sick dog with kennel cough, trying to find a good chair, online xmas present buying, trying to find old glasses and generally eating A LOT. Today, the heating has been put up a bit and I'm all sleepy.

How about a plaster on it. its probably a boil, so a plaster will draw out the yukkiness. Or you could dry it out with surgical spirit. I have an awful image on your avatar trying to see your bum in the mirror haha

W

At least my avatar trying to see my rear in the mirror has got to be better than going on Embarrassing Illnesses on Channel 4! It's got to be said, some of our reasons for a lack of daily progress just can't be made up. Yet when the work for my supervisor is late yet again, I'm going to have to make something up because she's just not going to believe me if I tell her the reason I couldn't get much work done is because I couldn't actually sit down to work in front of my computer because of a single spot. Ah well, tomorrow is a new day and I've just thought of an idea for a new, highly valuable thread. I shall post it later. Thank you for the plaster idea, Sneaks.

C

That avatar reminds me of YMCA. Anyway why are you telling us about a boil on your butt under a thread "Lack of Daily Progress" -- and you call me a troll?

W

Quote From cleverclogs:

That avatar reminds me of YMCA. Anyway why are you telling us about a boil on your butt under a thread "Lack of Daily Progress" -- and you call me a troll?

Says the Avatar who looks like a gimp. Clogs, get those neurons of yours firing and look at the board the thread was posted under...can you see it? No? Off-Topics.

C

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Says the Avatar who looks like a gimp.

LMFAO hahaha so true.

C

And Sneaks clearly has aspirations in Broadway!

P

======= Date Modified 03 Dec 2009 17:07:46 =======
A headache is an acceptable reason for not getting much done. Yes, it is not a great reason, but still.. better than laziness.

Spot: plaster sounds good. I would put a antiseptic on the spot, neat tea tree oil does a treat for me/my spots.

Peculiar reasons for lack of progress, my one is: inner resistance to do the work. Hard to tell you supervisor that, he?!

jazz hands!

S

======= Date Modified 03 Dec 2009 17:54:55 =======
Lol, awww Wally, so sorry to hear about your poor backside - but I can see that its a good reason - no sitting, no work! I'm sure your sup will understand ;-)

Cleverclogs - the fact that you know all the words to YMCA is worrying ;-) I can see you dancing it right now in your little clogs ;-)

My reason is yet again my bad back - owwwww - feeling v sorry for myself - had to work today on campus (paid RA work) and it was so bad - my colleague has lent me her kneeling chair to see if that helps or not - the old one used to cut of the blood supply to my legs, but this one is rather comfy :-)

aw stressed I understand your pain. Have you tried asking for A LOT of drugs from the doctor. I was put on anything I asked for, they even offered morphine patches haha. Only problem is they dull the brain as well, so I have spent weeks drooling at my desk. I have now gone cold turkey but using heat patches, ibulieve and proper chair (although isborrowed and will have to give back for tomorrow :-( )

T

Poppy I know exactly what you mean! I feel great when I'm actually productive, but there's a little gremlin in my mind that obstinately prefers to while away the time feeling shit and achieving nothing. Perhaps I need a partial lobotomy :-(

Wally on the other hand needs some other kind of 'bottomy - sorry, couldn't resist. In all seriousness, plasters are good wall and zinc sulphate may help draw it out.

Back to the pro plus and neuroses-dodging

======= Date Modified 03 Dec 2009 19:10:34 =======
The reasons for my lack of daily progress today are similar the those of the other days this week I hoped to get some work done; I'm just zoning out of it really, I think. Also, I think, somewhere in the deep, but powerful recesses of my consciousness, I equate being on here with PhD work - as if I'm researching possible future hiccups or something. I suppose it's the PhD equivalent of going into the office just to hang around and chat next to the photocopier: 'I've been in today, I did do something!'. There is also the fact that I keep ging shopping with friends and, this evening to see Christmas lights being switched on , it was the Lord Mayor accompanied by someone dressed as a dolphin??? In addition to this latest retail driven hiatus, I have an increasingly firm sense of my right to watch 3 - 4 hours of tv several nights per week. Shocking! Oh, and I don't really know what my supervisor wants me to do - he's asked me to expand my definition of something, but I think its all pretty clear and can't think of anything to add. Although maybe that's all down to my shopping recess.

Oh your bottom Wally; I say, just stay horizontal and take the time off today/tonight - enjoy it - then go to the doctor tomorrow and get them to sort it.

I keep on meeting the 'new' crowd people in my department OR people who I tutored a year ago, and they are all starting PhDs and fresh faced and so enthusiastic and they put me to shame - the result is that i have a constant sick feeling in my stomach about not doing enough work and these upstarts doing so much better than me - this feeling stops me doing any work so is very counterproductive!

I also have the thing in the back of my mind that its essentially xmas now and why not have a mulled wine at 10am - I am actually tee total but that's the feeling I'm getting if that makes sense