MSc or MA? What best suits

M

======= Date Modified 15 33 2009 08:33:32 =======
Hi, I am BSIT and MBA(HRM) from Pakistan with 3 years of experience in education sector. I am looking for Masters in General Management from UK.
Should i opt MA Management or MSc Management?
What best suits me for targeting europeon and gulf market in general management or consultancy roles?
Please also clear the difference between both. I have already holds offers in both courses. Please guide.

A

I would suggest that you select the course whose syllabus best reflects the areas you wish to get into.
Also, if you wish to use the Masters as a qualification to enter one of the institutions then check to see which course is accredited for that institution.
I wouldn't worry too much about the title MA or MSc.

K

Hi! It is worth checking with potential employers /companies which they would see as more relevant or useful. I know it doesn't sound as though there is much difference between MA and MSc but make your choice wisely- in my subject (which is completely different to yours!) we were strongly advised to take the masters as MSc rather than MA, as this university only accepts the MSc as the masters which students are required to take prior to applying for a PhD. It doesn't sound like you are aiming for a PhD anyway, but I would still spend a little time checking out the differences between the courses and finding out which is recommended for your area. Good luck, KB

M

thank you guys for your response. after a long delay and consultation, i have decided to go for the MA in Human Resource Development. i expect it beneficial in the future while being in the relevent track and that is seconded by the MBA (HRM). After exploring HR market in EU, its better to go for the experience one rather starting/diverting to new one. I have skipped MSc in Management and opting for MA in HRD. i hope your feedback will be effective for me.
regards,

O

The MSc generally tends to be more theoretically-focused, and more suited for someone who has their eye on perhaps a career in research, or maybe academic. The MA tends to be more industry-oriented and more suited for someone who wants a professional career. Again, as most other respondees have pointed out, check the syllabi carefully and the course aims and objectives before you make your choice.