names, marriage and phd?

F

I have always been that convinced that once you have a PhD, you cannot transfer your Dr title if you get married. E.g, As Miss X, I became Dr X, but I could not be Dr Y (assuming that Y is my husband's name). Is this true? I have no idea who told me this and I can't find anything concrete to say whether this is just an urban myth type thing or whether there is any truth in that. I realise that there are lots of other issues relating to publication history etc but I am intrigued as to whether I am spouting rubbish about the name thing or not!!! Having got the Dr title, there is no way that I am losing it!

A

I believe you are right - at least, I was told the same thing by 2 of my female friends with PhDs: one married just before graduating and hence got her certificate (and thesis) in her married name. The other married years after graduating and is known as Dr Maiden Name for work (as apparently couldn't be Dr Married Name) and Mrs Married Name for personal stuff. However, I have never seen anything official about this issue.

F

Thanks Ann, I appreciate your opinion as always. I am glad that I am not the only person to think this is true.

P

Wierd I was discussing this with my b.f only last week. Dr trumps Mrs.
Once your a Dr then that is your title and if you became a Dr under your maiden name I think it is usual to keep this even if you get married.
Most of my friends who have recently got married who are not and have no intention of ever being a Dr , seem to be chosing to hang on to their family names anyway - or go the double barrel route. I think it is being common much less common or expected these days.

P

sorry for car-crash grammar!

K

Yes, I've heard this about transference of names too - that you stay a Dr in your maiden name if you got it at that time. I got married beforehand, so I am Dr. Married Name, but for me it was an easy decision to drop my maiden name as I hadn't published anything with it - I hated it abd couldn't wait to drop it anyway!

What happens though if you are getting married a 2nd time? A friend of mine who was married when she began her PhD and is Dr. MArried name, but tragically her husband died of leukaemia shortly after she graduated. She has continued in her married name, but what would happen if she got married again? Surely in those circs you'd be allowed to change it? And I doubt any 2nd husband would be too whetever..

K

Sorry, my grasp of the English language has gone to pot today also!!
Oh well, it's monday, I'm trying (and failing!) to write a paper..

the last sentence was meant to read "I doubt any 2nd husband would be too chuffed if his wife carried on using her 1st husband's name"

!

F

Cheers Pea and Kronkodile for your posts. I was discussing this with friends as we all realised that this will be an issue for us. I don't intend to change my name for work for this reason (and also publication) but it does make me think. I just an nosey and wondered if it was even possible to transfer a Dr title. I think my OH's family were not too amused to find that I was not becoming Mrs Spikeymonster. Oh dear.

I agree with your last point K, I do think there must be circumstances where it can be sorted for reasons such as those that you mention.

V

You can still use the doctor once married.

K

I was under the impression that you could choose to be Dr Maiden or Dr married name but it's often difficult because you may already have published under maiden name and will effectively "lose" those on searches people do on you.

Do you have to officially change your title to Dr? Or am I just referred to as Dr professionally but can be Mrs normally?

E

Hi everyone, well after reading this thread I got worried as a potential Dr Maiden name wanting to be a Dr married name sometime in the next few years! So I 'phoned the registry of births marriages and deaths in London and they have assured me that you can choose whatever surname you want (maiden, partner's or double-barrelled so something completely different if you fancy it!) and the title stays with you whatever you do to your name or surname; no-one can remove your title once earned (unless on your own insistence!). It's easiest if you're going to change it, to change it to your partner's or double-barrelled as the marriage certificate shows 'good reason' for wanting the change.

E

P.S I'm not really anal or anything... just an expert procrastinator

J

At the risk of coming across like Milli Tant from Viz...isn't anyone planning on keeping their own name after marriage?

S

juno - i was always certain i'd keep my name. i was also always convinced that there is no need to get married at all.

well, now i can see my partner's point that he wants to be our potential future children's father legally, and although this does not require marriage, it does make it uncomplicated. also, my potential future in-laws are a bit conservative and i do feel a little pressured, as i know they would be disappointed if we had kids but didn't get married. so have been thinking about it. here's what i ask myself: can i expect my partner to take my name if i wouldn't take his? and: what about our kids - what name should they get, that we could both be happy with?

K

Ah, Juno, you've just reminded me of the pearls of wisdom (!) Viz had to offer!!

I was quite happy to take on married name, but for me I am estranged from my dad (whose surname I had before) and I wanted a new name, and I hadn't published anyhing in my maiden name either.

However if my circumstances were different I 'm sure i would have kept my maiden mane.

(sorry for any typos - have had some wine!!!1)