Offered Interview, but......

D

Hi all, I have been offered an interview for a job relating to my previous (pre-PhD) career which falls on a really bad date for getting childcare. We don't have much childcare arranged where we currently live due to me staying at home while studying. We are relocating to the potential employers area so will have to sort childcare out there if I get the job. Hubby is working his last day on the date offered for interview so cannot look after the children and I cannot arrange random odd days of childcare for three children (establishments like to have a settling in period followed by a formal contract etc). My family are abroad until September and hubby doesn't have family (deceased). The following week hubby is on relocation leave as we move the week after so the following week would be so much better for me! So can I ask for a different day? Is this acceptable practice?

A

Well done on getting offered an interview(up)

Like you I got offered an interview for a pre-PhD type job and like you I was unable to attend. I contacted them and told them that I was out of the country (which I was) but although the person seemed fine with it, he said it couldn't be rescheduled and I had to let it go. It's the only interview I have managed to secure out of about 20 applications. I had been in two minds applying as although I knew I could do the job, I was thinking 'so what has the last few years been all about?'. Plus it was really what I had done before but for far less money! So in a way things were decided for me.

I think re-scheduling is fine; afterall they can't just presume you'll be free. Maybe don't mention childcare issue; it's rotten I know but might that put them off, they might wonder if childcare problems would be an on-going problem should you get the job. I don't really know what to suggest as alternative, you could just be vague and say that you apologise but are not available on that day due to prior engagement and suggest an alternative. It's a bit awkward...

F

Congratulations on the interview!

I think you can ask for another time. If they have liked your application enough to give you an interview, they hopefully they have the ability to change the time of the interview for you. However, if they can't, then you have to either be able to work something out re: childcare, or let the interview go. I would give them a call to chat it through.

Good luck (up)

C

I had to ask to re shedule a post doc interview earlier this year (I was at a conference in Canada), and they were unable to do so but offered me a telephone interview instead. Could that be an option or would you get distracted by the children. You can but ask and then have a rethink if they are unable to attend. Do your children have any friends you could possibly ask the parents to have them round for the day? I personally wouldn't mention that it's because of child care issues. They shouldn't look badly on it, but you never no if they might.
Life would be so much easier if they told people the likely interview date at the time of application. If I'd had that for mine I could have booked a flight a day later.

Well done on the interview.