Please help me understand maternity leave rights / PhD in Norway

L

Hello friends!

I'm new to this forum and joined it because I consider pursuing a PhD at the University of Oslo after years in the industry.

I'm in my 30s and plan to have at least one baby during the program. I know it's a crazy idea, but it's never been a good time careerwise, and now I can't afford to wait much longer.

Now, two silly questions from someone without much understanding of how academia works.

1) I was trying to understand my rights and found these two links (first one - about students, second - about employees):

https://www.uio.no/english/studies/special-needs-leave-part-time/leave-and-part-time/parental-leave/
https://www.uio.no/english/for-employees/employment/working-hours-and-absence/leave-absence/parents/.

I don't understand which one would apply to me as a PhD student. They would pay me a salary/stipend - does it mean I'd be an employee? Is there a way to carefully ask about this without attracting much attention?

2) Let's say I'm entitled to Norwegian maternity leave benefits and will be able to take a year off. Is it possible that the university will not accept me back? I've heard stories like that (but not in relation to maternity leaves and not about Norway), but can't think of any reasons why they could do that.

E

First, I would encourage you to go ahead with both decisions. You know it. There is no perfect time to have a baby.
Second, Some universities hire you as a research assistant and you have a double status as an employee and a student. Do you have already an offer? If so, you can ask directly. There is no shame about it. The other case is that you are a student and get a stipend. Usually stipends are less money.
I think you will not be the first person to do this. One year gap is reasonable and should not affect your return. It is very unlikely that this causes administrative problems but some supervisors may not like it but it is your decision at the end.

L

Thanks for your reply. It's good to feel support :)