something wrong with forum on my computer?

S

hi forum admin,

there's something wrong when i try to write posts (replies to posts) on this forum: my cursor gets lost halfway through my post and i can't write anymore. after a few minutes of waiting it reappears somewhere in the post and then i can continue for a bit, then it disappears again. what's going on? i've got a bog-standard windows pc and i'm using firefox.
it's driving me crazy.

thanks!

A

I think you need Java for this forum. Do you have the latest version? I also use firefox on a PC and does take a while to let me write when I open the box to post; but it's only some seconds.

S

Quote From armendaf:

I think you need Java for this forum. Do you have the latest version? I also use firefox on a PC and does take a while to let me write when I open the box to post; but it's only some seconds.

yes, i have the newest everything cause it's all installed automatically by the admin.

======= Date Modified 01 Sep 2008 09:42:57 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============

Quote From swantje:

hi forum admin,

there's something wrong when i try to write posts (replies to posts) on this forum: my cursor gets lost halfway through my post and i can't write anymore. after a few minutes of waiting it reappears somewhere in the post and then i can continue for a bit, then it disappears again. what's going on? i've got a bog-standard windows pc and i'm using firefox.
it's driving me crazy.

thanks!

No-one has reported this problem before, and you do not need any software like JAVA for this website. Try using a different browser to verify if it's your computer that is having problems. Are you using the NEW Firefox version?

A

======= Date Modified 01 Sep 2008 11:30:11 =======
Here is some more on this issue:

What I'm experiencing is that in some areas within the "post reply" box the cursor behaves funny: I can move the arrow around no problem, but when I click to place the "writing cursor" there and do some editing, I can't. The work around is to place the cursor some where outside this area and then move it with the arrow keys. This area is placed in the middle of the box, and what I think is happening is that the blinking cursor is just invisible there. That's probably the reason it looks like you can not write.

I'm writing this post from a different computer, so it can not be the machine. It is also a PC with Firefox 2. I do not think the version of Firefox is an issue since my other computer has the latest one.

Another thing that I noticed is that the spelling checker plugin for Firefox doesn't work either. It identifies (red underscore) misspellings, but you can not open (right click) the box with suggestions.

W

Quote From armendaf:

Here is some more on this issue:

What I'm experiencing is that in some areas within the "post reply" box the cursor behaves funny: I can move the arrow around no problem, but when I click to place the "writing cursor" there and do some editing, I can't. The work around is to place the cursor some where outside this area and then move it with the arrow keys. This area is placed in the middle of the box, and what I think is happening is that the blinking cursor is just invisible there. That's probably the reason it looks like you can not write.

I'm writing this post from a different computer, so it can not be the machine. I is also a PC with Firefox 2. I do not think the version of Firefox is an issue since my other computer has the latest one.

Another thing that I noticed is that the spelling checker plugin for Firefox doesn't work either. It identifies (red underscore) misspellings, but you can not open (right click) the box with suggestions.

I have the same issue and am using Firefox 3. Also, I cannot navigate away from the current page of the posts on a thread.

I've just posted using Firefox v2 without this error but i will change a few things shortly to attempt to fix your issue. I will need to turn off the character and word counter during this test. Please note that we have hundres of users using Firefox and that i believe that this is either a new problem that has only just started or it only effects a small number of users. Still, i will investigate and resolve the problem. ;-)

I have now figured out the problem. I had this problem on Safari browser also last week. Its the 'Please Wait' pop up layer that stays above the post reply on screen but is invisible. I will investigate further.

SOLUTION:
This is a bug within FireFox v2. They have fixed the problem in Firefox 3, so, please install the new version of Firefox to fix this error. Thanks for the feedback. (up)

A

Sorry to disagree, but I have had the issue on firefox version 3 as well.

Quote From armendaf:

Sorry to disagree, but I have had the issue on firefox version 3 as well.

I will keep looking but the error went away for me when i upgraded to Firefox 3. This post has not displayed any errors either. Please check your Firefox v3 PC now and tell me if the problem has gone as I have changed a few things anyway.

S

Quote From pete:

I've just posted using Firefox v2 without this error but i will change a few things shortly to attempt to fix your issue. I will need to turn off the character and word counter during this test. Please note that we have hundres of users using Firefox and that i believe that this is either a new problem that has only just started or it only effects a small number of users. Still, i will investigate and resolve the problem. ;-)

i'm using firefox 2.0.0.4, just checked.

i'm sorry, but i've had this problem since you renewed the forum. it's the same problem as armendaf detailed earlier on, cursor vanishing. it's not just a case of the cursor being invisible either because i use the arrow keys to move it up and down and i still can't write in certain areas of the post, only in some. i also often can't navigate away from the current page either (using the previous page link at the bottom of the page) because that link does not work. strangely enough, the next page link does.

A

Hi Pete,

Just to let you know that I'm writing this post on a PC with Firefox 3.0.1 the invisible box is still there and yet in the way.

R

======= Date Modified 02 Sep 2008 10:06:02 =======
Forum admin,

The text in my posts looks fine while I'm writing it, but loses all the paragraphs when it's posted and compresses the whole lot into one big unreadable chunk of text. It's only been happening since I downloaded Firefox 3.0.1 a day ago (was ok in the previous version.) It is also ok in IE 6, as I edited one of my squashed posts in IE and it looked fine when it was saved. I'm using a PC with XP.

Edit - it's done it with this post too.

Quote From armendaf:

Hi Pete,

Just to let you know that I'm writing this post on a PC with Firefox 3.0.1 the invisible box is still there and yet in the way.

Version 3 did fix the cursor problem but the box is still there. If you double click text that is behind the box the text does not highlight like it should. Firefox I'm sure will fix this in time as the invisible box is a component of a standard AJAX script. In the meantime, I will look at alternatives. Thanks for the quality feedback. I've given you and Swantje a vote for your help. Watch this thread for an update.