summer holidays for phd students??

S

Hello,

I'm curious as to what holidays you folks manage to take during the summer months? I am quiet fortunate that my summers are relatively free; I work to make the next two years as easy as possible and attend some conferences but can take fours weeks or so completely off. I'm doing a three year PhD, in the US, in special education (PE). Its worth noting my funding is for nine months of the year too...

So I'd like to hear of your holidays???

Thank!

D

At least in our university there is not a rule like there is for employees like post-doc, administration staff etc. It depends on the supervisor, some students work from home, while some others are under a control-freak supervisors that expect them to be in the lab everyday including weekends. I very often feel like a low-paid labour force, with no rights on maternity leave or sick leave or anything.

The first year I didn't get any time off, during the second year I probably got 6 or 7 weeks, and now as I am supposed to complete in a few months I think I will get some time off after a submit a first draft. I am quite worried about reminding myself that life is good outside of the office :)

N

Writing a paper for a conference / writing a paper for publication. Can cite them when I come to write up.

C

We have guidelines set up by our graduate studies office. We're meant to have no more than five weeks off work per year (that doesn't include conferences etc') but are encouraged not to just take all those holidays for the sake of it.