us election results

O

I am so excited to see the outcome of this election---supporting Obama all the way--and trying to find up to date results on the internet. The US polls won't close until the middle of the night UK time, so there won't be any results for hours, if that, of course it could be days and days ( thinking of the 2000 election). On a day like this, from a far, watching a democratic ( not in the sense of the Democratic party) vote swing into action in such a large and varied nation, its amazing thing to watch. It really feels like history is being made this day in America-without wanting to sound melodramatic about it--but it does. I will be on tenterhooks until I know the election results.

R

I've been following it as well, it is exciting and must be much more so if you're American. It's been amazing watching the number of people queueing up for hours to vote - I can't imagine that happening in this country, it seems so much more apathetic here. Or maybe it's our politicians. They interviewed Martin Luther King's sister last night on C4 as well as other people involved in the civil rights movement, and it's quite moving to listen to older people who lived through that. It's so easy to take things for granted and forget how they happened. It's a pity Obama's auntie died though, it would have been amazing for her if she could have seen him win, though it's good that he got to see her recently.

O

I think having a "person of colour" ( the politically correct term in the US) who stands a significant chance of becoming the President of the United States is a remarkable event in the history of the US--because it was and is divided by race. People take issue with calling Barack Obama "black" ( which in US vernacular means some one of Sub Saharan African descent) because of having a white mother. Until what forty or fifty years ago? when race legislation remained on the books in the United States, if you had "one drop" of Sub Saharan African blood you were deemed to be black. The legal meanings may have changed or be gone, but socially, culturally, the United States still adheres to this notion of one drop, called the one drop rule, and so that in American culturally/socially defined terms Mr Obama is black. Americans struggled with whether he was "African American" because that is supposed to mean someone whose ancestors were enslaved. Obama destroyed this notion of race as well. Race in America is a question of black and white, and with the one drop rule, for instance, you are either black or non black, so that people who are Asian get thought of as white.

That is a long ramble. America will be dealing in a new way with its own history of slavery, racism, and how those still impact views of the present day. I am really excited........like a kid at Christmas.

R

It is exciting, and it's been really interesting to see how American history has shaped this event too, it's so different to this country. I just hope everyone that wanted to vote gets to do so in time.

A

I agree, it is exciting - enough for my 12 year old to call me from Butlins to see if Obama had got in yet!

D

Being here (in the U.S. and in a 'swing state') this is the first election I can ever remember with this kind of vibe - where people are so excited about their particular choice (vs. choosing the lesser of 2 evils). I have never seen early voting like this, in my county early voting this election was 68% higher than last election, and demand was so high the governer of the state had to extend to voting times so they were open 12 hours a day;even then the lines were > 1 hour. Lines are tremendous today as well. Typical voter turnout in the U.S. is about 60% or so, so we'll see what the turnout is this year...can't wait for tonight!

P

I know there may not be a result till tomorrow or later but I intend to stay up as long as I can keep awake to see what happens. It is very exciting. It does seem like a historical world-changing event.

M

It is very exciting. I may stay up to watch the results come in. I always stay up to watch the British election results, and well British politics pales into insignificance compared to the glamour and controversy in American politics (and humour thanks to Palin). I hope Obama wins by a landslide, but realistically, given the race divide, he may only scrap through, but he has to win! Could America really survive another 4 years with the Republicans in office??

BBC One has live rolling coverage of the elections from 11.30pm tonight and live text commentary at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/americas/2008/vote_usa_2008/default.stm

T

Very exciting indeed, just can't get to bed yet- am crossing my fingers for Obama, my american friends are all for Obama.(up)

D

Quote From missspacey:

IBritish politics pales into insignificance compared to the glamour and controversy in American politics (and humour thanks to Palin).

Its really not that funny when you consider her as potential president.:$ Think of McCain's age and medical history; holy cow! Here's a fun interactive site for some nervous energy:
http://www.palinaspresident.us/

We've been checking out BBC America, but traditionally (since 2000) have watched the elections w/Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert - its softened the blow the last few times (temporarily), hopefully will start the term out right this time around.
:-)

O

ohhh I have goosebumps listening to the video of Barack Obama's victory speech, it about brings tears to my eyes, for reasons I cannot really put into words, but I suppose that does not matter right now. I am so happy with this result! Its what the United States needed.

O

Oohh, just watching the video tapes of the various "moments" of the campaign results, and honestly, I am just all shivery with tears in my eyes, not a usual reaction I have to politics! Obama is such a wonderful speaker-------and a joy to listen to----------gone are the years of George Bush and Make the Pie Higher!

O

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6186217

A nice news video on the Obama victory, which gives an American perspective on the deeper meanings of this to America and its people. To think that its not significant for the nation, beyond the politics, but for who and what the nation is, both for people of color and people not of color, is to misunderstand the profound nature of racism that has and does permeate the nation. But symbolically and literally, Obama's win changes this. This is to not say that his win is just about race, it shouldn't be and it isn't, he has many more talents, but to say its nothing to do with race, and that is not a huge step towards reconciliation of the rifts in the nation due to race is to completely not get America.

R

Good news indeed! To step aside the race issue for a moment, to me today, the world feels a slightly safer place knowing that Sarah Palin's not going to be dabbling in international relations (yet?). I find her rather scary.

C

Great news on the elections

Personally i'm just feeling very relieved, this should mean an end to military action in Iraq, and hopefully a much less agressive approach to foreign policy. I should also add that these elections are a whole load more interesting than British ones, here there's very little difference between the major parties, the politicians are all so dull.

Pretty much every American i know wanted Obama to win, which begs the question how did Mccain win so many votes? I'm thinking many Mccain supporters don't travel to the UK so much. Or maybe people who voted for him never say so, a little like thatcher supporters in the 80's

Anyway, best stop rambling

Congrats to the democrats, from the cakeman, working in an Obama wonderland