Walminski's Gizza Job! Thread

W

I've not even had my viva yet and I've been looking for jobs that I would be suited to. As I mentioned, I've applied for one job as a Research Officer, loosely connected to my research area. But I've found another job and it's perfect. Essentially, it's a job doing my PhD! Or, to put it another way, I [hopefully] have a PhD in this job. I spent this weekend doing a fancy CV and cover letter for this job (applied yesterday) and I really, really have my fingers crossed. It would be just perfect and my life would change so dramatically with this job (international travel, offices all over the world) - the money is really good! I've got two publications in the area (one of them hopefully in review). But you can't count your chickens and all that... I have to admit, I'm going to the 'dark side' - private sector employment - and not the heady, romantic ideals of ivory towers with their aged books, quills and pots of ink.
So, as a forum first, I've decided to create my own thread documenting my ups and downs as I attempt to get a job. For me, I'll still feel like a PhD student until I manage to get a job. So, barring a major disaster in the viva, I'll keep this thread updated until I am successful. Getting suitable employment will represent closure for me and my passage into the real world. It may prove helpful for other forumites in a similar position because I'll recount my experiences of my interviews: what was asked, what went well and what didn't.
I've therefore applied for two jobs so far, and I wonder whether I'll get an interview for them...? I should hopefully soon find out.

S

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

I have to admit, I'm going to the 'dark side' - private sector employment - and not the heady, romantic ideals of ivory towers with their aged books, quills and pots of ink.

Haha. Sometimes your principles have to be bent temporarily so that you can get on in life - like a vegetarian travelling through Eastern Europe.

Is this job based in the UK and requires you to travel or is it based in another country?

N

I'm looking forward to reading this! and everybody has a dark side... even ivory towery scientists ;)

ooh well, once you've got it and you realise they need someone who thinks they've done mixed methods research, but isn't quite sure why or how, then send them my CV (up)

good luck :-)

C

Good luck! I too am looking for an academic job to no avail - my contract (temporary) ends in May.

W

Cheers, guys. The ideal job is a position in the UK, not too far from where I live. Perhaps cheekily, I requested a delivery receipt to make sure that the e-mail (with cover letter and CV) had arrived okay. No acknowledgement yet, but their head office is in Europe meaning that they may do things 'continentally' - or maybe they don't use MS Outlook. Early days, I suppose
I have the dreaded job centre on Friday and I'm 'Stage 2' at the moment. I hope to god they don't decide to send to me to a private employment company, like A4E. They'll have me building paper rockets and joining in team games, or gaining work experience in Gregs, when I'm supposed to be revising for my viva.

D

Good luck for everything. I went to the 'dark side' and have never looked back. I don't think I could even contemplate going back to academia now!

W

I said yesterday that I hadn't received an acknowledgement receipt e-mail for the job I really wanted. Well...today they got in touch with me and have sent me an exam to do - just some basic data analysis and report writing. I've been working on it all day and am nearly done with it.
This means that they must be a bit interested in me! I've got 7 days to do it and then e-mail it back.

B

Just a tip: Don't send it back tomorrow even if you finish. Let it pass few days.
Good luck!

J

Heya there Walmins...Good luck with both your viva and job search. Will be following your thread!

W

Well my job applications got sent off, in time for the deadlines, and now I wait - fingers and toes crossed. Will update when I find out what's happening...gulp.