When Natassia met Phdbug!

N

Just a little post to say that I met Phdbug for a coffee and a little tour of her lovely campus last week, as we are both in London I thought it would be a nice thing to do. It felt like we'd known each other for ages and she is a total sweetie - it was really nice to meet someone off this forum as I don't have any friends who are doing PhDs apart from those in my department who are starting to talk to me now (I'm still finishing my MSc), so it was good to chat about everything properly, as well as lots of other things!

Has anyone else met up yet?

Nxx

No, but there are many I'd like to meet. It sounds like a great thing to do. x Perhaps next time I am in London - that could be a while tho.

omg, that's so exciting! I imagine you to have a little tiara though - is that wierd?

I go to uni in London - give me a shout if you want me to come and moan about my supervisor!

B

Oww, I'm no where near London :-(

If anyone is up North though, it would be fun to meet!

S

I'm hoping to meet up with Bug too when I go up to London to carry out some research :-) I haven't met anyone else on here (that I know of lol) but would love to. I don't get the impression that anyone else is on my campus which is a shame, it would be great to meet people and not feel so darned isolated - just me and my abominably behaving computer (which would go on a flying trip out of the window if I could afford a new one!)

K

Awww, that's awesome, there are loads of folk off here I'd love to meet! I'm in the North-West though, so a good bit away from London! But if anyone fancies a trip, let me know! KB

Hey that's great. I have some great real-life friends who I met through a newspaper talkboard. Ten years later we're still friends (and most of us are still on the same talkboard too, though I don't go there as often as I used to). Forums like this can lead to building up a lot of shared history and understanding of other people you've never even met - so why not meet a few? :-)

Anyway, I'm East Midlands based - wonder if anyone else is???

S

I quite agree, some of my closest friends I met on a baby board when we were all pregnant 7 years ago - some of us are fairly close geograhically and still meet up, go for coffee etc, others are spread over the country but we try and arrange a meet once a year or so, I think I've met in person all but one of them now and she lives in SA so that bit trickier lol! I'm down in East Anglia so don't know if anyone here is close? I think the great things about dedicated boards like this is that by far the vast majority are genuine unlike some forums and you can make friends with people.

I'm in the northwest KB!

B

Eska, Keenbean, me too! 8-) I don't feel so alone now, was beginning to think everyone was in London! We need to arrange a North-West meet!

D

I have met a couple of people from here and also have another few on Facebook. It's nice to bring people together.

Although I am still yet to meet Clara van der Akker :-(

S

I feel for you DanB - I was hoping to meet Cleverclogs but he seems to have disappeared altogether - very sad :-(

N

Sounds like Bug and I may have started something - it would be great to meet more of you, it's a shame you're not all in London!

Sneaks I thought you lived in the West country for some reason, do you commute from there to London? Would be really great to meet you sometime!

No I don't usually wear a tiara, or have long blonde hair!

Nx

A

lol I'd love to meet Cleverclogs and give him what for! There are a few others that spring to mind too but I'll hold my tongue! Unlikely I'll ever meet anyone though, I'm in oul Norn Iron, and it seems most people are across the water!

K

I'm way up in Scotland but I would be open to meeting people off the forum. Everyone here seems really nice and passionate about their respective fields.