Where to find intellectuals?

D

Whilst I don't miss the academic life, I do miss intellectual people who don't talk utter bo**ocks incessantly all day long about stuff they clearly know nothing about and think by saying it louder it makes it correct (oh, was that a sly dig at my colleagues by any chance?)

So where does one go to find intellectual stimulation? I mean, real life intellectual stimulation - as much as I love you guys and gals on here I crave a proper academic battle now and again. I have a friend who is a world expert genius on something or other and is great, but I cannot rely on one person alone. And I think the cat is bored of my ranting, though he did purr louder than usual when I was telling him about radical feminism the other evening.

Do I need to move back to a University town? Maybe that's the problem, there are no intellectuals here where I live. Maybe I should set up a website meetanintellectual.com ?

Humour me people, as you normally do, DanB loves you all :-x

O

Sarcastically, I would say any place with very high ceilings and large rooms to make room for the egos...meh...:p but that is a reflection of my current mood and not helpful advice.

I think some local sort of community groups might attract intellectual types---local history groups? A local voluntary organisation that sponsers some kind of community something or other? Some activity groups, such as rambling, book clubs? literary groups? local theatre? bound to be huge hiding places for the intelletuals who are surely out there but manage to not be very visible ( self-preservation perhaps?)