Writing a research proposal (In Computing)

H

======= Date Modified 01 59 2010 11:59:28 =======
Hi everyone,

I am writing my research proposal to get into the Phd course and get the scholarship. There is one thing confusing me. I have been reading a few how-to about writing a research proposal and from various online sources, I received the impression of not going into every single detail when we write a research proposal and a few suggested that I should even include a detail calendar about how I am going to carry out the research. My problem is, I have a topic (something like hey I am going to make a new kind of cake and I think I know a way) but of course it is still up in the air. I dunno how I am gonna do it and what sort of ingredients that I am gonna use to do it but I know I'm gonna use sugar, eggs, cup blur blur blur. My point is, it is nothing fancy but it is something enhanced based on the current way of doing it.

In technical terms, I am gonna do something to improve current computer networking technology but I have no idea about how I am going to do it or what sort of algorithms that I am going to use to do it but believe me in the end if my research is successfully implemented, it will bring a lot of benefits to the community.

OK, so in my research proposal, do i need to include every single detail about the algorithms that I will use to carry out the research or is it ok if i write my research proposal in a general way ? Is the nature of Phd course is like shaping our thoughts to become reality or taking the reality and recognize it ? I am saying it like does a student need to know every single detail about the research which he/she is going to carry out or is it ok if he/she knows a bit of it but does not posses an in-depth knowledge. Please help me out.

Best Regards

I

Hello Harrylynn,

There is no hard and fast rule for research proposals because it varies to universities/supervisors but again this is something which you can always change for the good,

The general format for research proposal in (computing, not sure about other fields) should be something like

+ Overview
- Overview of your research;
+ Objectives (aims and goals)
- a paragraph about your research objectives
+ Introduction
- 1/2 pages about your research area, usually Research papers citation - for example, reference to computer network and tools/technology which you might be using
+ Research Question
- this is very much important - for example, what motivates you to do this research, what academic challenges you have, what will be your contribution etc most full time students spend first six months on Research Question;
+ Research Plan
- General Overview of your Research plan in your research proposal (which you will extend later during your studies) - you don't need to go into detail. something 1/2 pages
+ Conclusion
- a paragraph
+ References
- 15 + recent(after 2006)

my supervisor told me to give 15+ recent research papers/conference reference when I was writing my research proposal, since things changes very quickly in Computing so I suggest that your reference should not be older than 2006 at-least. my research proposal was around 8 pages with 30 + references, but most supervisor ask for shorter proposals (around 3-5 pages); I guess it will give you idea :)

http://www.esc.edu/ESConline/Across_ESC/WritersComplex.nsf/wholeshortlinks2/Research+Room+Menu

This is very good link which will help you, I will try post other links as well, if I found them :) which previously helped me :)

best of luck :)

J

You really need to check with your supervisor or with your post grad administrator - my proposal had to include all the stuff mentioned but had an absolute limit of 2 pages. I wasn't even allowed to put the references on a separate page. I neded up with 10pt, narrow margins and almost no header or footer but I managed to get 1200 words of content and 22 references (plus lots of "and and others") onto the 2 pages. I pity the person who scrutinised it for the research committee.

H

Thanks all. I guess in either case (2 pages or 15 pages), I don't think I can put every single detail about my algorithm. Algorithms alone would take more than 15 pages I guess (including all those theory and mathematical formula). Again, thanks for pointing that out to check with the supervisor and the general guideline for the proposal.

Best Regards