13000 stipend + Tuition fees covered at UK/EU rate

A

I no idea about expenses in UK. Lets say I get a PhD studentship with 13,000/yr stipend and my tuition fees covered at UK rate. I would still have to pay 10,000/yr for my tuition (I have to pay international student fee). Do you think I can cover it with my stipend and a PART-TIME job on campus? Can somebody please give me a little idea about expenses in UK. I am sure each place is different. But a rough idea will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

you need to say where you live. In london it wouldn't go very far!

H

If they are going to cover your tution fee, surely they'd cover your international tution fee?

A

In most universities they cover only the UK/EU rate for international students. I think for UK/EU nationals it is around 3000 and for international students it is around 13000.
But they offer stipend of 13000. Will that be enough in Nottingham or Newcastle. Those are the two universities I am looking for now. With a part-time job and a stipend of 13000, will it be enough to manage all the expenses including the tuition? And how hard is to get a part-time job? I know international students can work for only 18-20hrs a week.
Thank you for your responses!

======= Date Modified 12 Feb 2011 10:24:25 =======
So you're saying after paying fees you would have £3000 a year left, plus whatever you earned from a part-time job?

I don't know about how easy it is to find a part time job. But if they're giving you a stipend the university might not be happy for you to also be working - you may need to check that with them to be sure. The point of the stipend is to enable you to focus on your studies, but maybe they are more flexible about that with overseas students if they have to pay extra fees?

As to costs - I know a little about prices in Nottingham. If you want to live in a shared house (private rented) you can probably get a room for £70 - £90 a week. Rooms in private halls cost between £80 - £100ish a week I think. A one-bed flat to yourself would probably be about £100 a week. I don't know about costs in university halls. Some parts of the city are nicer than others so don't think you've found a bargain if you find something cheaper, there's usually a reason! If you're in a shared house or your own flat you'll probably have to pay bills (gas, electricity, water, phone etc) on top - at least £80 a month for that in a shared place I'd say, and a lot more in your own place.

Then there's all the other costs, like food, travel and so on. I don't know how much to suggest food would cost - it would depend what you usually like to eat! But I usually budget about £30-£40 a week for that. Maybe other people are different?

P

Quote From sneaks:

you need to say where you live. In london it wouldn't go very far!

To be fair, it wouldn't go far anywhere in the UK. It's not just a cheap slum outside London you know! ;-)

P

======= Date Modified 12 Feb 2011 17:08:41 =======
double post