A confused PhD student ?

Z

======= Date Modified 22 05 2010 11:05:04 =======
Hi all:
I've been enrolled in a PhD program in Philosophy at a Pakistani University. I started with MPhil in late 2007 and then converted it to PhD, which I now regret, because I dont have a good supervisor, and I dont have many options over here either. My PhD is taking longer than it should have taken, as the whole program seems to have been mismanaged. I have one option: to revert back to MPhil, but I wonder if it would be a wise thing to do after spending two years in PhD. The problem that eats me up right now is, whether my PhD will have any worth internationally if my supervisor is not good enough and the fact that my University, although a good public sector University, is by no means meeting the international standards. I was considering to leave my PhD here, and try to find some international scholarship/funding in a more reputable university. But the fact that I have spent more than 2 years already in my PhD at current university. My Big Question is: How worse does it affect me if my PhD is not from a well reputed university? Any comments please? thank you in advance.

D

Hi Zarathustra, your question is actually quite difficult to answer.

It's true that internationally recognised universities carry weight but a lot of it is based on local knowledge. So if you want to get a job in Pakistan afterwards, the question will be, do employers there view your university as a good one if you have a PhD from it?

If you want to work abroad, then it's likely to be viewed the same as any other university really, but the quality of your work will be what makes you employable. Have you published at all? Been to conferences and presented your work? Do you have skills you've learned that will be in demand?

You could try and find a more reputable university but it depends what you want to do with your PhD that will decide whether it's a good idea or not.

Z

Hi DanB:

Thank you for the reply. I guess you're right there too. My PhD topic is not bad at all, and in fact I have couple of publications too. Also, I am a full time Lecturer in the same department as well. So, at home I do not have much of the problem. I was only worried about the value of my PhD degree as it would be seen abroad, as I may want to teach abroad at some stage too. But I guess you're right; ultimately it is the quality of the PhD work that should matter, I hope ! :) Thanks again.

A

Hi there,

If you're unhappy in your PhD then that's ok...and very common. Have a look at the many, many posts on mismanaged PhD students at many universities on this forum and you'll see that you're in good company.
I myself am going for MPhil after a disasterous end to my PhD last year. My logic is tat at least I get something of value out of my work there.

And don't be fooled by the false equivalence of 'MPhil = failed PhD'...not true and quite an old fashioned view of MPhil work. MPhil is offered by many more universities these days as a superior masters degree which demonstrates a competentce in research without the full commitment to academic life.

Use it as a stepping stone to PhD later on maybe?