About to start a PhD and need advice

T

Hi,
I have been lucky enough to secure funding for a course very similar to a 1+3 but I don't get a Masters out of it.  The topic is interdisciplinary research between life sciences, physical sciences and computer science. I come from a Computer Science background so I will be spending the next year training as a biologist with the physical scientists.

Since I don't have a research topic yet I have been doing what I can to learn about Biology by reading undergrad textbooks and watching MIT's Open Course series of videos as well as reading books on specifically surviving the PhD process and research and general science news from New Scientist and PhysOrg.

Is there anything obvious that I should be doing as well to prepare for the PhD or am I on track?  I don't have lots of extra time since I am employed as an RA at my undergrad university and I have kids but study tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Z

======= Date Modified 16 Aug 2011 09:30:05 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--spam--

Z

======= Date Modified 16 Aug 2011 09:29:50 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--spam--

H

Sounds like you're doing the right kind of things. With an interdisciplinary programme it's good to be open to a lot of different perspectives and it sounds like you're getting a wide introduction.

All I would say is don't overdo it! The PhD is a marathon not a sprint, and you need to make sure you don't overdo it before you've even begun. The first year will give you a good opportunity to immerse yourself and get your head around the new areas.

Good luck :)