Academic Job prospect in UK, Canada and States????

W

Hello all, does anyone have credible info. on how easy/difficult for a PhD holder in say electronic engineering to get an academic job in Uk, Canada and States.
I know each country has its own pro and cons but then which is perhaps the best to work?

K

First thing I would suggest is to look at your passport and see which of those countries you can work in. That is most likely the defining point for which is the best country for you.

Job wise you will almost always get paid more in the US, but you have to consider the benefits outside of pay. I don't know about EE in particular but there is a very big difference in the work ethic from the UK to US. Factor in such things as cost of living, cost and QUALITY of health care etc etc.

You cant just give a binary answer to such a question.

S

I disagree with Konic concerning the passport question. In any of those countries, if a university offers you a post-doc level academic job, it won't be hard to receive a work permit, no matter what nationality you have. Highly qualified immigrants are welcome most anywhere.
I believe the first hurdle would be the value of your PhD. For example, I've heard that PhD's from not very high ranking UK universities won't necessarily be accepted as equal to US PhDs in the US. Jobs requiring a PhD in the US might not be open to you if you received your PhD somewhere else. It all depends on the relative "image" of your university/department and on achievements which underline the value of your PhD such as high-impact publications.

W

Hmm, thank you very much for that piece of information. I find them very helpful. I welcome more reactions pls.