Acceptance letter PhD

A

Dear All

When you get an email if you ahve been accpeted into a PhD studentship do they normally have to attach an acceptance letter to that email? Has there been cases where they just send you an email that you got it but without any formal cover letter? especially fi it was a studentship?

Thanks

AJ

R

Hi, I initially received an acceptance email for my studentship which was followed a few weeks later by a further email with a formal letter attached and the same letter was also sent by post.

So depending on what you've been told by the admin people you will probably get a formal letter at some point. It does seem to take a while for paperwork to get sent out sometimes.

A

hi pixie

thanks for the reply...Well im nervous cos if i dont hear from them today or tommrow then my chances are quite slim. So I thought maybe tehreis a possibility that im selected and its taking them time to prepare an offer letter? Do you think it could cause delay or am i imagining that i got it?

AJ

R

I've got my fingers crossed for you!
It's possible that they are taking time to write a letter, hopefully you will find out soon. I know how horrible the waiting part is.
Best of luck :-)

A

Hi AJ

Sorry, I'm not quite sure if you got offered a studentship following your telephone interview or not?? When I got offered mine I got a telephone call, no email, no letter, nothing. Others who followed me a few months later did, I believe, get an email but again I don't think they ever got a letter.

You could try phoning but I think I would try to hold off until tomorrow afternoon if at all possible. I think you said that it would be mid week when they said they would let you know. It's hard to wait, I know but fingers (and toes crossed) for you.

A

A

Hi Ady

Well during my interview they said that I would know the results by Monday or Tuesday or latest by mid week. However they took the decision on Thursday itself. I know I should wait until tomorrow but Im just curious how they announce the results for the successful candidate. Cos I have an experience of a previous application where I wasnt successful and they emailed me that I wasnt selected. But if I do get selected then I dont live in the UK so maybe they need to give me a hard copy stating the rules and conditions of the studentship along with the offer letter saying that Im accepted blah blah....its weird how different Uni's work differently...OK now I will keep repfreshing my email every 5 mins and also keep checking my phone.

AJ

A

Hi AJ,
When I went through this nail-biting process, I interviewed on the Wednesday (as 1 of 6 shortlisted candidates), and was told they would make their decision that evening, and phone through with the results. By Thursday lunchtime, when I hadn't heard anything, I emailed the principal interviewer expressing cautious disappointment at my apparent lack of success. He phoned immediately to say I'd got the studentship, but that they'd been delayed overnight by the paperwork processes. In the end, the formal letter took a week to come through, with all the terms and conditions, but I made sure I accepted the verbal offer in writing, by email, as soon as I got off the phone. Good luck.

A

Hi Artista

thanks a lot for your kind reply and for sharing your experience. I will wait until tomorrow and if they wouldnt have mailed by then I'm planning to send them an email Thursday morning. I understand that paperwork takes time like a week or so but I think they should first say a yes or no and then take as long as they want for the formal process. :-)

Pray for me everyone!!!!

AJ

D

Hi Ariajolie,

any news? when we submitted my form for the studentship, I had to wait a month until the supposed day the decision would be made, but then it took the committee another month before making the decision. I got and informal mail from my supervisor. The waiting in the limbo land almost turned me mental. We signed the contracts almost 3 months later.

Good luck

A

Guys,

No news so far. I sent them an email asking if they have already informed the successful and unsuccessful candidates. Now I hope atleast I get a response to that.

@ Dr.Jeckyll i was informed during the interview that they would take the final decision on that same day. And that I would hear the news by the middle of this week. I know that middle of a week is Wednesday late afternoon but I am so anxious and I'm not able to concentrate on my day to day tasks so I just emailed them now. Lets hope that they get back atleast by tomorrow and lets hope that I made it :-)

Its unfortunate in your case that they told you only after 3 months but finally you got it so congrats! And they shouldnt take that long cos its unfair they should respond within 2 days and deal with formal procedures later on.

keep posting comments here guys!!! and thanksss!!!

AJ

H

Quote From Ariajolie:

Dear All

When you get an email if you ahve been accpeted into a PhD studentship do they normally have to attach an acceptance letter to that email? Has there been cases where they just send you an email that you got it but without any formal cover letter? especially fi it was a studentship?

Thanks

AJ

Yes, I am in the same situation. I have an informal promise of a studentship, though I have a formal offer of study from the university. I am trusting my supervisor's word, and she has promised it will be sorted once I start.

A

Hi chococake

thanks for your reply. Since Im so nervously waiting It really helps to see any response in my thread. Thanks all!

Now to answer you, this is a PhD studentship and there is only 1 place as far as I know so If someone is accpeted to it they automatically are covered by full studentship. I gave my interview on Thursday the 6th and today is the 11th. They said in the interview that i would hear in this week so I am still waiting. However, I decided to lobby and sent an email to the PG coordinator already if she has announced the results. I knwo its a bit desperate but this is question of win or lose. I wana know a YES or NO fair and square. let them deal with paper work later. I need some mental peace guys!

You all ahve no idea (or perhaps have an idea) of what im going through every second of this waiting! :-(

i need aspirin!

AJ

A

Feeling your pain AJ. At least the agony is at intervals, as you're unlikely to hear out of office hours. Bit like labour, imo. For me, landing the studentship was a turning point in my career/my life, as I'd been at home for years with the kids, so I think the interviewer was a bit surprised at how pleased I was: it's so difficult to explain what it means to go from housewife/mum to funded research scholar overnight. Crossing everything for you.

M

Hi AJ
in which field and univ did you get accepted ?