Accountability Partners- Finishing your thesis on time.

Hi all!

Here I am again, in the past 2 month I had to put the PhD work on stand-by to prepare a grant proposal for what I hope will be my first big post-Doc project!

After several stressing weeks I finally submitted the proposal yesterday evening!! Yuuhuu! Which means that starting today I can re-focus on my PhD work and officially begin my 'final sprint' towards the conclusion of this journey.

I also had a lecture last week in which I gave an overview of the whole project (with preliminary results of the last work package) and this was well received, which gave a nice boost to my self-confidence and some new perspective on the narrative of the whole research.

Goal is still to submit in September. I aim at having a first draft of the complete thesis ready at the end of June to send to my sups. :-)

@Emmaki: did you already hear back from your sups? How much time did you plan for the revisions based on the sups feedback?

@Liah and BlackTrinity, how is your writing up going?

My final-year-PhD-fellows, I wish you all a fruitful working week, and to enjoy this moment, no matter how stressful it is.

xxx
w

Yay on getting the proposal submitted.

Writing is going ok, been slow while the sup has had it and I've been working full time at a call centre so its been difficult to get through but my days off are clustered together over the next few weeks so fingers crossed. Sup says we're on the final stretch now. Last load of chapter corrections to sort then submitting a full first draft to the sup next time, hopefully in the next few weeks. off to see him tomorrow so hopefully submitting soon. Hope everything is going ok for everyone else?

Trin

Hey, how are you all doing?

I finally gave my sup my first complete draft, the chapters have been corrected multiple times individually but its the first time theyve all been put together, its off to my second sup for a checkover and i'l have those corrections to complete and then its ready to start the printing/submission process.

Hope you've all made the progress you were hoping to!
Trin x

Well done BlackTrinity, congratulations!! :-)

Oh, I'm soo much looking forward to the day in which I'll be looking at the first complete draft!! Still 3 chapters to go, plus conclusions. I've spent the last days drafting the content of one chap in article form - probably the last article I'll send off to a journal before submitting the thesis.

Still some analysis to as well, so this week it's first analysis-time!

How's everyone else doing? Wish you all a great working week!

W xxx

S

Hi guys - I too cannot wait for my full draft.

I had a personal upset that interrupted my chapter writing schedule and had to finish a book chapter for an edited collection so am way off the schedule I had planned in January. But glad to have the publication under my belt and personal grief cannot be helped.

Chapter 1 is done and done well.
Chapter 2 is due this coming Tuesday.
Chapter 3 by June 16th.
Chapter 4 and 5 by July 20th (these chapters are v. short - thinking of making one big chp out of them but unsure yet).

Then Aug/Sept for Intro / Conclusions with hopeful submission by October, at latest. I've been lucky in that I have a part time job and no fees to pay as my Uni recognised my supervisor problems from 2nd year and gave me a 1 year fee waiver, so just motoring along and trying to make it the best it can be. The next three months are going to be heavy going but I'll never have to do this again so just need to get my head down.

Good luck to everyone else writing up xox

Hey guys,

Just a quick update, I finally submitted 2 days ago. Never thought id make it but did, just got the viva to think about and prepare for, but having a couple of weeks off as I start a new job next Monday.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Trin x

F

Congrats x 3! (submission, weeks off, new job)

Congratulations BlackTrinity!! :-)

Enjoy you time off and please let us know how ti goes on, and when you get a date for the viva!!

E

Hello, can I join in? I should submit my thesis by the end of this month. I still have to write the introduction, the conclusion, and send the thesis for proofreading. However, my supervisor has not finished the reading of the last two chapters.

Hi Emaa, welcome in the thread and good luck with your introduction and conclusion!

An update on my side as well: submission planned for Sept 30th, I still have a third or a result chapter to write, plus the final 'discussion and conclusions' chapter and the abstract. My sups are currently reading and commenting the other chapters.

I'll start teaching again in the first week of Sept, so I hope to have a draft of the complete thesis done by the end of this month, and then have ca. 2 weeks for the last revisions in Sept.

What title do you give to your final chapter?? So far "discussion and conclusions" is the best I could think of..

Have a productive day!
xxxW

Hi there,

here a new quick update on my side. I finished drafting all results chapters - which leaves me with just one more chapter to write, the general discussion. However, some feedback has arrived from the sups last week and so I have to revise a few things on the last couple of chapters I wrote before I can concentrate on the last one..

..well..zero concentration, zero motivation!! I can't look at those result chapters anymore, and I am spending the days procrastinating in front of the screen. I know what I have to do and what to write or re-write, but it takes ages due to my lack of interest right now...

gghhh... you probably know how it feels, hope the writing is going on more smoothly for you.

w

Hi there,

I'm in my last year of PhD and my research is on the edge of math and computer science. Is anyone interested in exchanging goals and checking on each other on a daily/weekly basis?

Ok I may write a bit more coz I feel it helps. I have to prepare 3 talks for some international conferences in less than a 20 days now and haven't even started yet. Also I have to do some math and some programming stuffs and my supervisor is waiting for the results. The tasks are easy. I just can't start. It's been a week watching craps on youtube is my only job to do. I'm stressed and depressed.

Hi everyone,

just a quick update, I finally submitted yesterday afternoon. It still feels very odd, the last three days were absolute hectic but I managed to send everything off in the end. Today it feels surreal, while I'm trying to decide what are the next urgent works and duties.

I'll take however a next week off from work, to go visit my family and - finally - meet my brother's baby who's now 1 month old.

Hope everyone is doing well,

xxx
wanderingbit

R

Hi wanderingbit,

A huge congratulations! I can only imagine how you are feeling. Enjoy your time off - you deserve it :)

Cheers,
RLD

Yay, congrats wanderingbit. It is such a strange feeling after submitting, but definitely enjoy the time off.

I am finally sorting out a viva date after my sup had to chase up with my examiners so it looks like its going to be the beginning of december (4 months after submission) and I have no idea where to start with viva prep.

How is everyone else going?

Trin x