Advice for a wide-eyed entrant PhD?

T

Hi guys,

I am starting my PhD in International Relations in September (officially that is). I already have a great working relationship with my supervisor and we have been talking a lot about my project, and while I am really excited to start, as September gets closer I am getting a little freaked out. I have friends who are finishing their first year as PhD students and they keep telling me how behind they feel and how they don't think they'll finish in 3 years. My supervisor wants me to start reading now, to get a head start on the year, and I'm fine to do that, I'm just worried about the level of detail/work/insight required for the PhD, and was wondering if anyone had any study tips, or any more general advice?

Thanks in advance!

C

The PhD is 3 or 4 years (full-time). It will not be your entire life and there will be a life after. It may not - indeed probably will not - be in academia. Even if you do publish. So enjoy it for what it is. Read around. Write. Meet people. Take up opportunities to go to conferences at home and abroad. Make friends and contacts. A PhD is not a Nobel Prize winning research project. With good supervision and application you will be able to get there. Good luck.