Advice for if your supervisor doesn't think highly of you

Y

======= Date Modified 05 Mar 2011 15:09:52 =======
======= Date Modified 05 Mar 2011 15:09:23 =======
While discussing post-graduate opportunities, I was recently told by my thesis suspervisor that neither does he believe that I am "PhD material" nor does he sees me working in my field of study. It doesn't get much more depressing than that. Despite how bad it sounds, he doesn't actually dislike me.

He threw out some ideas of what he sees me doing well at, and none of them involve working at a fast-food/supermarket chain. However, I don't know how much I should take his words without a grain of salt or two:

1. I'm not finished with my thesis
2. All the courses of his I'd taken were not only difficult but extremely confusing and I had no prerequesite knowledge of the subjects
3. I'm terrible at exams anyway (much better at papers/projects)
4. His background/specialities are entirely different from mine
5. He's much, much, much smarter than me overall

I'm not against his ideas for my future (in fact some of them I'd thought about myself before), but I somehow don't think that ANY related field would want someone whose letter of recommendation + transcripts can be summarised as: "He tries really hard, and has lots of skills, but none of them are well-suited to the field he actually studied".

How do I get a job in a related field with such a performance record? Similarly, how could I apply to a PhD programme in a related field when my performance has been less than perfect?

P.S. I know that I can of course get a job in an entirely-different field, but:
a) at the moment I'm determined to do something related to my studes (it's why I studied them, after all)
b) it will present similar problems nevertheless

Cheers for any advice.

B

======= Date Modified 05 Mar 2011 15:54:42 =======
Hi

I can understand your pain but dont worry...everything is goin to be good in future.
Iam in first year PhD and i tell you frankly it is the not the recommendation letters which put you on for your PhD but the techniques u learnt along with basic knowledge on topic of intrest count.....

RECOMMENDATIONS R 1 OF THE CRITERIA and NOT THE CRITERIA.

It is
1) Ur technical skills
2) Reasoning skills
3) Experience in relevant field (vich u can show in demo...r report etc etc...)
4) All other criteria(recommendations..etc) play vital role in securing ur dream post.....

So dont wry.....NO ONE IS GOIN2 PUT YU DOWN..
U KNOW VAT U R..
Keep onn n Gd Luck.....!!!

B

Have you thought about going to a careers advisor? I wonder if there might be related jobs that would still be in that area but fit better to your skill set. Could you arrange some work shadowing at a firm doing this type of work to get a clearer idea of what it's really like and whether some roles would suit you better than others? It does sound like this advisor is someone with your best interests at heart from how you describe it even if the message is unwelcome. I think if you've struggled up to this point moving straight into a PhD programme (if you could get a place) is probably a recipe for unhappiness.

C

I would take it with a pinch of salt! Afterall that's just his opinion! Is your supervisor just a blunt sort of person that speaks before he thinks type - the type that lacks social skills? Is he also quick to judge? Is he know for making these types of comments/this type of personality?

As you've said you haven't finished your current project yet so how can he make a judgement already? Especially as his background/specialities are different to yours. The fact that you are willing to do his courses that you find difficult without prior knowleddge says alot about your willingness to learn and develop your skills. Exams are not the be all and end of everything - they show you are good at studying but not that you are good at research which is an entirely different matter!

Have you asked his why he thinks what he thinks? I think you need to get to the bottom of this.

Have you asked other people what their opinion of your work is?

If you really want to continue in your field I would perserve and keep knocking on doors. Grab all the opportunities you can. Have you tried getting extra experience in your field - e.g. try volunteering to do related stuff so that it looks good on your CV.

I hope it works out.

Y

He's very considerate and helpful and I honestly feel like he "likes" me in some way (even if he probably thinks I'm a lost cause). He is also very frank. However, the fact that he's nice makes me worry that perhaps what he said was in fact his way of trying to stroke my ego (which makes it all the more depressing). He explained well why he thinks the way he does, and I agree with him on most of his points. However, I may not be a genius (or even too clever), but it doesn't mean I'm entirely useless in my field (or at least at the moment I don't accept that...).

C

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2011 01:22:26 =======
What about doing a Masters as I'm not sure if you're doing one at the moment or not?  Or just getting some extra experience in the lab if you are lab based or just some more exposure to the field you want to doing a PhD in? I admire your perseverance - keep at it and knock on as many doors and grab as many opportunities as you can and someone will give you chance. It may take a few years as it's highly competitive but if you know that you definitely want to give it a go stick with it!

Good luck!
(up)