Advice for PhD Transfer Viva - Help!!

A

Hi all,

Just a quick post to ask whether anyone has any helpful advice/words of encouragement - I'm nearly a year into my PhD and due to submit a transfer report soon, followed by a viva. However, in recent weeks my supervisor keeps questioning my data and the amount that I've done. He never actually says he's concerned about my progress but hints that my viva panel might question my progress, and I'm really starting to worry that maybe I haven't got enough data or the standard of work isn't good enough. I've been a bit hampered by illness at times throughout the year which he is aware of, and I'm worried that this may have had a bad impact on the amount of work I've done. Is there a chance that I could get sacked and lose the chance to finish my PhD? I really don't want to have to leave, as I love the work and really want to get this PhD. Or is there a chance that the viva might be an opportunity to explain why there isn't much data and explain my plan for the next couple of years? I'm starting to really panic about this - does anybody have any advice or information about what the transfer viva is normally like?

Thanks in advance!

C

Hi Anxious,

When I did my transfer event I had only collected pilot data - e.g. data from a couple of interviews which were mainly to test my questions, my respondents understanding and length of interview etc. No one said anything about that not being enough. In my report I discussed the findings from these, as well as how they had informed my methodology going forward, e.g. the decision to set up a pre-interview survey to cut back on time, changes to questions to make them more accessible etc.

My understanding is that the event is really a check to make sure a) you have a PhD suitable project, b) you have a good understanding of your topic, and c) there is a chance that you can complete within timescales. As part of this, I focused on my contribution to knowledge, existing information about my field, and a gantt chart for my project.

I think the most important thing you can do is talk about what you have done (and not what you haven't), and provide a good outline of how you will spend the rest of your time - keep this realistic or you might get questionned about it. I don't think there is a magic amount that you have to have done before your transfer event, but as long as you show commitment and reflection of what you have done so far, no one can question it.

Regarding the chances of getting put out, my understanding is that it is pretty rare. I've seen some pretty ropey projects get through at my University anyway - maybe speak to others who have done theirs? I certainly found mine wasn't as scary as I was expecting, and once I settled in I actually enjoyed talking about my research and getting feedback.

Best of luck and I hope this helps (up)

A

Some really good advice and thoughts from the previous poster.

Maybe talk to your supervisor about what he thinks about what you've done so far, both in terms of progress and quality of work. There's no point in your second guessing yourself.

At my uni you're given a second chance to do your transfer if you don't get through the first but I wouldn't focus on that if I were you. It rarely happens. Do keep an open line of communication with your supervisor on all counts. It'll prevent a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety.

A

Hi guys,

Thank you for your posts - CR1980 I feel much more reassured about the viva now! I have a fair amount of pilot data already and I've sought advice from a few senior people about how to analyse it etc. And to be on the safe side like you said Alleycat, I've also had a chat with my supervisor to find out his thoughts and I now know exactly what I need to do to have enough data for the transfer report. I've planned out my next few weeks' work and I'm gonna stick to it!

Thanks again for your advice :)

Anxious