Advice / Hints / Tips!

R

Hi guys!

Well, its happened. After having my first PhD interview, I have been offered a place studying for a PhD. I never in a million years expected it but im so happy and thrilled to be offered a place. I was just looking for some advice / hints or tips any of you guys have about doing a PhD? I mean obviously I have done a lot of research into doing a PhD but are there any things you never expected to happen that have happened and so on?

Also, do any of you have advice on working from home? All through my undergrad and masters I have really enjoyed working from home and I have done quite well out it, but im not sure how much different it would be doing a PhD? Are supervisors strict about the time you should be in the office or are they fairly flexible?

One last question, i promise! How long has it taken you guys to do your PhD / how long do you expect it will take you? Anyone done it in less than 3 years?

Cheers guys, appreciate any help you can give me!

RM

For hints/tips, there is a sticky thread on tips. If you access the forum, so you are just seeing 'phd life' (by going to the home tab) then you can see this with a purple pin on the thread.

There was a thread recently on working from home and some tips about how to work efficiently. I'm sure most people on this site will recommend using mytomatoes.com to manage your time. I think the time in uni depends on the uni and the supervisor. My sup doesn't really care as long as she sees me occassionally and I'm getting work done.

I'm hoping to get my PhD done in 3 years and working like mad to get it written up by october, but realistically, it will probably be 3 and a half years.