Advice please

N

I am having a few problems with my PhD

1. Being forced to be in the office 9-5 each day and having to account for my whereabouts if not present.
2. Not being allowed to work in the Library
3. My dress being commented on (i was wearing jeans and a hooded seatshirt at the time)
4. Being told not to listen to music (through headphones) at my desk
5. Constant criticism from supervisor even though I am maintaining a grade above 80% in my modules and phd review was graded as good
6. Lack of independence of supervisors, they are married
7. Have to book holiday time to participate in univeristy sport
8. Have been asked if my absenteeism dud to physio appointments was in fact needed
9. getting a prominant surgeon interested in working with the department, then being told that my supervisor had had a meeting (not informed me) and told him that I would not be involved in any research they would do
10. Attracting industry interest in a piece of research which would have been very lucrative but being told that I would not be getting any help even if I did it on my own time.
11. Being told that the research would be in one are but being forced to work in a completely different area

What does anyone think I should do?

T

Wow, they certainly seem to be keeping you on a tight leash! Given that undergrads are allowed to run their own show you'd certainly expect more freedom as a postgrad. How far into the phd are you? And is this the norm for your institute or even department?

R

That sounds awful - makes me feel rather grateful for the freedom and support I get. How awkward as well that your supervisors are married. It sounds a bit like they are treating you like a school pupil or a lowly employee. Do you have a Director of Postgraduate Studies you could approach?

Some of the things on your list seem out of order, e.g. comments about physio appointments.

But some of them just indicate that your sups are concerned about you not taking on too much. points 9 and 10 suggest they want to protect you from being swamped with research that isn't related to your PhD or being pressured by third parties to get work done which may not be strictly relevant to your PhD.

Maybe they've supervised others who have spent years trying to complete and want to make sure you treat it as a 9-5 job, which it is really, so you get it through on time.

H

Thats horrible. They are treating you like a servant ...

Btw are PhD students given office space at university?

N

I'm just finishing my first year

I have been talking to the departmental manager and apparently the problem of over-controlling is well know for this school. I have just spent an hour trying to explain to my supervisor what i have been doing each day for the last four weeks.

I understand them trying to keep me on track for completion but the over-management is having the effect of draining my confidnece, drive and enthusiasm.

It's got to the point of me contemplating ending my study

P

======= Date Modified 22 Mar 2010 18:13:00 =======
It sounds pretty dreadful! Is it a science PhD? I've never heard of people not being allowed to listen to music quietly, wear hoodies or book holidays for sports!
However, the 9-5 work and telling your sup where you are all the time sounds normal for science, it's what I have to do anyway! I was really surprised when they said I could have a few days off in lieu of the weekends I worked, without taking it out of my holiday entitlement.

Perhaps you could ask them why exactly they want you to wear different clothes and not listen to music? Stand up to them a bit! :)

E

That sounds awful - I'd be interested to know where you're studying, though appreciate you probably don't want to say!

I hope it's not like that for me, because one of the things I was looking forward to about quitting my job and doing the PhD is having more freedom and flexibility about how I work, and be able to work fairly independently and use my initiative about the direction of my project (obviously with the advice and support of the supervisor, but not having to be accountable to them for every minute of my time and everything little thing I do.) Your situation sounds similar to mine at the moment (micro-managing boss).

As for commenting on your dress, certainly in science it's normal for the staff to be in jeans/t-shirt, never mind the students! Maybe if you're in business school or something it's different, but it seems weird to me.

In terms of dress, I know I do try to dress a bit smarter when I'm at uni, although to be fair, anything is smarter than my joggers and hoody combo I wear when working from home. It has been made very clear to me that I also need to dress smart e.g. the kind of stuff you see in the work section of next, when i have 'student contact' i.e. lecturing, tutoring etc.

S

hi Ninjaphder,
I just read your list; I dont really know what to say; except that I sympathise with you. Are you happy there? if the phd means a lot to you and you choose to stay then you would have to put up with more of this, I really don't think there will be much changes in the "control" department. Your supervisor/department sounds (to me) to be quite inconsiderable.

I use headphones too, and sometimes I wear them because my colleagues are talking and when they are talking, they sound like they are buzzzing... BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ especially when I'm trying to concentrate so I put my headphones on to try to block out the buzzing because I need to work. If someone told me I couldnt wear them, I would be very unhappy.

I am so sorry that your supervisor constantly criticizes you; maybe hes doing it to make himself feel more secure. I have seen people like that in my old lab.

Whatever you choose to do, follow your heart. if you choose to stay, remember at the end point when you have secured that phd, that you should not keep or bring any bitter feelings with you; but instead be proud that you survived it all, you earned your doctorate, you made it.

love, satchi