Advice regarding my future

K

Hi all,

I finished a part-time Masters in Research last September. My undergraduate thesis explored why people from ethnic minorities are under-represented as spectators at football matches (in Britain).... my Masters thesis looked at the differences in spectatorship between older and newer (within the last 20 years) football supporters. Generally, my interests are around ‘sport’, ‘football’, ‘race and ethnicity’ and ‘gender’.

I’m now working, but in a job unrelated to research. I really want a job in research and am wondering how best to go about it. Is the best route to complete a PhD? Without a PhD, is it possible to move up the career ladder in the research field? Are there many opportunities to complete a PhD alongside working as a Research Assistant?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kirsty

I

I'm not sure what kind of research you want to do, but if you want to be an academic and play the grant game, you won't be able to do that successfully/independently without a PhD in the US. In my line of work (think "hard" science), a PhD typically comes with a tuition waiver and a small stipend to help you cover living expenses. Hope this helps.

S

Hi there

Depends where you want to do research. Some NGOs or government bodies have researchers, and you don't need a PhD to do these jobs, a Masters would probably be enough. Mind you, I'm not in your field, so it could be different in sport related areas. Have a look at the peak NGOS, government funded agencies and see if they have research positions - even call their HR people. I suspect that even in these positions, to get to the top you'd need a PhD.

If you want to do research at a uni, you do need a PhD. Lots of PhD students pick up jobs as research assistants as they study, this is a good way in.

H

hi there kristy,

you might need to look at the jobs that are relevant to your area of study, which seems to be enthropology.. i'm just wondering if moving towards getting a PhD would be the best way forward for you... perhaps you'd like to check out the jobs that are available this spring at some careers fairs such as the ones by careers group at: http://www.springgradfair.co.uk/.

good luck in finding what interests you the most.

regards
howard