almost fainted!!

C

today i almost fainted when i heard my supervisor said i m only going to finish my experiements in year 2011 (total 4 and a half yrs of experiement). I have been working extremely hard since the very begining for my PhD ( and i have got tonnes of data now, i joined since august 2007) because i m planning to finish my experiement works within 2 and a half years then starts writting after that. this is how me and my supervisor deal initially. assigment that he had assigned to me initially are done. Now, he keep adding new works for me and it seems like a never ending list. seems like he was just lying to me and trying to hold me longer to work more for him!!! i m so frustruted!! i was working so hard and now even my body cant take it anymore. Now, the new tonnes of work that he has just assigned to me is triple of what our deal initially. Feel like really being exploited. What can i do and i feel so helpless. any one had this experience b4? please advice !

A

Hey!

I have not had that experience before, but my advice would be for you to talk with your supervisor. If you are already 2 years into your PhD, I can imagine you already have an idea of how much is enough data, and when you have enough data for your analysis. It sounds really weird that your supervisor can know, just like that, that you need two more years of data. What about the data you have now? Is that not enough for your analysis?

Dont do more than that, it is your Phd. Be aware that some supervisors love the cheap labour that PhD students provide. I've seen that hapening, and I can assure that after 2011 he will find something else for you to do. Better to be clear now. If the data you have now is not enough, then why? If it is enough, then move to another stage. Another advice, PhD's are not like undergrad assignments, dont expect your supervisor to tell you what to do. Threat it as a job, where you are the person in charge.

Good luck

C

Dear Athos, thanks for your advice. the problem is he is a very good talker he always twist and turn things around to get what he wants. after two years of observation, i sincerely sound that he actually not interested into research but just to please our dean to get himself promoted to get more powerful. He involve very little in supervising and from the very begining i m the one who initiate and plan all the experiements ( and i know very well that is part of my job) he does not seems to be interested unless he needs the data for conference. and he use my data ( i made up the poster for him) and he submtted the abstract without my name in there. it is obvious that he is just want me to stay more to work more for him. I wonder who can i refer to and is it ok to say no to him? How do i make a clear cut off line about my project and how do i confirm i have got enough of data? Will it be worse if i say no to him because i m just worried he ll make my life worse. When i think back, from the very begining he already try to prevent me from talking to others about anything including my CO-supervisor!! Now is clear about his intention!! Now i have got no one to turn to and as a witnes of my progress through out this 2 years. HELP!! i realy cant concentrate on my work....

C

Quote From athos78:

Hey!

I have not had that experience before, but my advice would be for you to talk with your supervisor. If you are already 2 years into your PhD, I can imagine you already have an idea of how much is enough data, and when you have enough data for your analysis. It sounds really weird that your supervisor can know, just like that, that you need two more years of data. What about the data you have now? Is that not enough for your analysis?

Dont do more than that, it is your Phd. Be aware that some supervisors love the cheap labour that PhD students provide. I've seen that hapening, and I can assure that after 2011 he will find something else for you to do. Better to be clear now. If the data you have now is not enough, then why? If it is enough, then move to another stage. Another advice, PhD's are not like undergrad assignments, dont expect your supervisor to tell you what to do. Threat it as a job, where you are the person in charge.

Good luck

A

You mention having a co-supervisor. Can you go to them and explain the situation? Perhaps they can act as a mediator between you and your supervisor and help to get things sorted out.

However, it sounds like it might be time to get a new supervisor. If he is passing off your work as his own, as you say, then you need to do something about that. It is your intellectual property and you deserve to have your name attached to it. If you can't get help from your co-supervisor, then go to student services or your head of school. These issues need to be addressed now.

S

Aussiechick's right. You need to get some help on this. Can you go to your co-supervisor? That's who I'd go to first. Also, your department should have some guidelines about the role and responsibilities of student and supervisor - have a look at those and see who they recommend you talk to. I'd discuss this with your co-supervisor, and if they can't help, let your supervisor know you're taking action, like seeing the head of school.

R

Sounds like he is looking for a skivvy, someone to do all his experiments for him - are you funded? Cos if not that sounds kinda like slavery!!! I would definitely talk to someone, you can't let that go on...

C

I m funded. thats why he do not want to let me go. i was planning to talk to my director of pstgraduate school but they are good frens. He might side him.... i m still looking for alternative way out.... i wonder is it possible like i continue to carry out my all my experiement without letting him know bout the details and then by the time i finish what i should do then i just apply for the viva ? wondering any one did this before?

P

See someone outside your department.
That's what I'm doing.....
Has your University got a Dean of Students.???