Any budding TV presenters

We've just had the following ad placed on FindAPostDoc - we thought it may interest somebody coming to the end of their PhD.

"Young postdoc scientists needed for co-hosting huge Discovery series
10 Ways to Save the Planet, Impossible Pictures/ Discovery

10 Ways to Save the Planet
will turn theoretical climate-saving projects into prototype reality. Filming throughout 2007, and across the world, we’re looking for dynamic and telegenic co-hosts for the series. If you are a postdoc, and fit the following categories, please send resume, contact details and a recent photo to [email protected].

The Engineer: experience in all forms of engineering welcome. Tinkering and can-do qualities a must. Together with your co-hosts and a team of builders, you will be helping make these projects work.

The Earth Scientist: climatologists, geographers and geologists- you too will get physical with the projects, but your job is to see the bigger picture. What will the impact be of fertilising the ocean with iron? Will sulphur aerosols do more harm than good?

Filming begins in May through to October.

NB: Filming can be tough, demanding and physical. Patience and good humour is a must."

A

Well, I'm obviously dynamic and telegenic but not my field, doh!

I laughed at "NB: Filming can be tough, demanding and physical. Patience and good humour is a must." I can't believe filming is tougher than actually doing a PhD

J

I'm a bit suspicious of their requirements: who cares if a scientist is telegenic? Are they going to be modelling the latest in latex gloves?

B

I'm presenting a new 20 part psychology programme for BBC2 which airs in the autumn. We just started filming this week. My PhD is falling by the wayside, and I have never been so tired in my life. I advice you to only do this kind of stuff if you have time! Its huge fun though.

B

Ann - it is tougher. Honestly.

J

Wow! You must tell us when it's on, I can't wait to see it. How did it come about?

P

wow Bobby - thats v. cool. I have been approached by an 'expert' agent with a view to doing some talking head stuff. Have meeting with a producer in a few weeks. I have worked in TV news before -but behind the scenes which is quite different.
My b.f is a TV/radio presenter and he thinks its great but I am really nervous and worried I will loose the ability to speak succintly or say something really dumb.
Did you have to do a screen test or auto-cue?

P

btw Ann - something tells me you'd be GREAT on the telly. Maybe you could do a Trisha like advice show?!

J

Does anyone elses uni have rules about contact with the media? Ours says that you can't talk to anyone unless it's via the publicity office; people have got into trouble for this

but that rule applies to speeches about your university and/or its projects

J

Applies to any contact in our case; they are very strict about it.

really? I am very surprised to hear that. But on the other hand, our University has weird obsessions about using their logo. Even when it comes to promoting them via our research results etc, they need to "think" about letting us use the logo.

A

Hehe, Pea, I've been on telly tap dancing (few years ago, very briefly, local TV production!) and that was scary enough! Now, if they were thinking of bring back Tomorrow's World, I'd be up for that

J

Our uni is also cagey about the logo; mind you I know one nutcase mature student who tried to put it on their personal business card (wacky new-age therapies)so I can see why.

I would be crap at TV presenting. Ann, I remember the BBC asking a couple of years ago for applicants for new science programmes. I wanted my supervisor to apply but the deadline had passed. It's worth keeping your eye out though.

A

We got told we should have business cards for ourselves to take to conferences. I wanted to have "Alicepalace: Heaven is a play on words" on mine because I'm working on literature and the afterlife. My friend's doing Middle English and she wanted "The Chaucer Enforcer." But yeah, we have regulations for the colour and typeface for writing the uni name (no lime green comic sans!).