Any help would be greatly appreciated!

S

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying for a 4 year phd (hopefully with an MRes or MSc 1st) and I'm having a crisis of confidence! I need a sponsored Phd cause I can't afford to do it otherwise. I would prefer a phd which will let me work on my skills for a year and finalise my proposal in that year. I've found a few I really like, but I'm worried that I won't qualify without a MSc or similar.

I have a 2 i in Joint hons Science (biology and psychology) and a PGCE in Biology. I don't have any research lab work (paid or otherwise) apart from what I did in my undergrad which I think feels a bit basic. I have biochem, physiology, developmental biology, ecological sampling and population genetics practical experience (for anyone who's interested). That's why I'm looking at 4 years so I can build up my skills.

I'm hard working and believe I could handle a phd, but I don't know whether a university would put it's faith in me! I would really like any advice as to how to best make people believe I can do it. Has anyone been in a similar situation, and gotten their phd? would anyone advise applying for lab jobs (even if they aren't in my field) prior to applying for a studentship?

Thanks!!

(sorry for the long post btw!!)

C

Hi Sam,

I can only give you a generic prod ...  so I will.  

You first need to believe in yourself and then persuade others... the first is often tougher than the second.  

First - focus on what you can do and not what you can't. Enthusiasm, commitment and determination are what you need to get a PhD.  Have you got them, if so.. no problem.

Second - have a search around for Robert Cialdini's Art of Persuasion... once you have grabbed the first this will be easy.

Maybe others will be able to give you more practical advice :-) 

Best.  Chuff  

G

======= Date Modified 22 Nov 2010 18:43:20 =======
You have a 2i first degree and a PGCE in Biology. So you have taught in schools?
Your qualifications are good enough for a PhD. Don't worry about the lack of lab experience, you get that in the 1st year of a PhD. Just look on this website for a PhD topic your interested in and get applying! It might take a few attempts. I was successful in geting a funded PhD after three application attempts. Good luck! You'll never do a PhD unless you take the bull by the horns and get applying, so just do it! :-)

S

Hey guys

Thanks for all the nice encouraging comments! I've started my applications for a few different courses and narrowed my choices down by lab and projects on offer and whether I'll come out with 2 qualifications or 1 (I much prefer that my 1st year is recognised, so if I hate my lab/city/life I can take my MRes and bugger off somewhere else!)

@Gingersnapps I've taught in some schools I'm not quite finished my PGCE but I just don't think teaching is me. At least not yet. I like the academic side though of the masters parts which is why I've decided to push through for a PhD. I've wanted to do one since my undergrad and it's always been part of my eventual plan but I've been a bit scared about dipping my feet and testing the waters!
(robin)