Anybody here at Glasgow University?

B

Hello,

Just wondered if there's anyone here at Glasgow Uni (or who went there in the past). I'm thinking of applying there and just wondered what people's experiences are of the university and the city. I'm planning a small visit also but it's handy to get an idea first hand from people who have lived there.

Cheers

S

I'm at the Glasgow Caledonian University - which is a different uni - but I did apply for a couple of posts at Glasgow and didn't get any replies from them?

I know a few people who have done degrees, masters and PhDs there and - None of them complain of there experiences

They have some great research going on, and glasgows a great city to live in ;)

B

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you're enjoying it there. It's the research that really interests me but I've never been to Glasgow and it's a long time to live somewhere isn't it. I think I applied there many moons ago for my undergrad but never actually visited. Wish I had now! I'm off to find cheap train tickets now.

A

Hey sjo4,

are you doing a PhD at GCAL? what is your subject area?

S

BZ26 - good luck with it - Glasgow is an excellent place to live - it is a long time - but you will find a good social culture in the area and I doubt you'll struggle to keep yourself amused in your down time. As for it being far away - you'll have to do that at some point why not do it now? quite a few PhDs in our department come from far far away and are enjoying the experience - If you've got any supervisors in mind let me know and I'll see if I know them to let you know what kind of supervisor they are - we collaborate with a few folk there

ANG - I've just finished up the practical PhD in the department of biochemistry last September looking at Gap junctions etc - just in the final stages of writing up - what about you?

B

Yeah that's true, can't live with the parents forever! I think a change of scene would probably do me good anyway. The supervisor is Professor Furness. His research sounds really interesting so i'm definitely going to apply. Good luck with writing up!

S

unfortunately the wrong dept for me - good luck anyway - I'm sure you'll enjoy it up here if you get the chance

main thing same as every other one is make sure its a good project and good supervisor and you'll be all good

S

A

Hey sjo4,

I'm in my final year too, doing the last of the practical work (filling gaps etc)

I must admit i'm a little freaked out, I think i know you're supervisor (also mine at one point!) and i think i was supposed to be doing your PhD! but ended up doing another one instead!

I don't want to name names but we should keep in touch! we have scary connections (or should i say connexins!)

A

sjo4, No wait i've mis-read your response you're in your 4th year? I'm in my 3rd, so you're not doing the same PhD.
But i think you may be able to work out who i am!

S

lol! in Aberdeen still?

How is your project going?? how did you find Aberdeen - was it the right move?? what project did you end up doing?

Yea I'm just in the final push - got to submit by the end of next month, then got a viva date for the end of April. Starting a post at the Cardiovascular research centre in University of Virginia in May.

'T' has being very good, she is reading about a chapter a week for me as well as all her other work she has to do

'J' is in the write up phase as well but think she might take a little longer to finish

Great to hear from you - keep in touch if you still have the old email addresses you'll get me @gcal.ac.uk

take care

S

S

Oh and by the way connection - connexins joke! genious

still chirpy

S

Bob Furness is a legend and the Division of Environmental & Evolutionary Biology is a really good department. I haven't worked directly with Prof Furness, but he is well thought of.