Anyone else find the news/newspapers completely chilling?

K

Is it just me or is watching the news/reading a newspaper at the moment completely depressing? I mean I know they're always a bit like that but I honestly can't watch a news programme or read a paper online without something sending shivers down my spine or giving me goosebumps, whether it's some hideous incident like the one in Norway or whether some poor soul has been jailed for defending themselves in their own home in a violent burglary or whatever.

The world is going mad and these stories give me the creeps. Not a relaxing lunchtime activity.
KB

B

I'm not watching the news at the moment. I don't read newspapers. I really don't need to get upset about things. My neurological disease worsens with stress, so I try to stay a happy bunny.

I'm not sure things are that much worse than normal at the moment though, apart from the phone hacking scandal which has plumbed new depths, even for the tabloid press.

A

:$ I'm a bit of a news junkie and eally need to stay updated with what's going on in the world. Was in Boston recently and there the news was 90% on their economy and really just snipets about everything else. I don't think any channel mentioned the situation in Somalia for example.

Hi KB, I was thinking exactly the same thing just as I logged on - as if the world has gone into total haywire. It does seem a bit that way to me. This is usually such a quiet time of the year for news, but stories are tripping over eachother. All this said I am going through a wobbly patch at present, and things do always seem worse when we're stressed - for me anyhow. I agree with the advice about not reading the press, I read the papers for the first time in aout aweek today. Plus I bet the sunshine comes more when your PhD is done and dusted. X 8-)

It will be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk

The death of amy winehouse shook me a bit, she's the same age as me so its a little bit scary! (although I am not on crack/heroine or anything else apart from thesis stress)

N

I know what you mean, I have a quick look on a few of the news websites at the beginning of each day and it's rare that I think much about the stories after that but I've been finding myself getting increasingly upset about them. The death of Amy Winehouse really saddened me, I know she was an addict but it was still a shocking tragedy. I was out in Camden that evening though and nothing was especially different, don't think I was that near her house though. Poor girl.

Another one that has really chilled me was the story about the 16 year old boy who murdered his girlfriend in the forest in Wales. God knows what is going through his head but he doesn't appear to be remorseful at all. It's tragic for her and her family, but can't help feeling sorry for him, and more his family as well. It is a strange and awful event.

Maybe have a look at the trashy celebrity gossip to cheer yourself up a bit as well!

K

Not just me then. I don't make a habit of trawling through loads of papers etc, I just have a look online every few days to catch the headlines. Yeah, I was shocked about Amy Winehouse too. Was never a fan of her music particularly but still so sad. I suppose I am a bit more emotional than normal at the moment but even so, you'd have to be made of strong stuff not to get upset by some of the stuff that's going on out there. The Norway thing in particular creeped me out big time.

Thanks Eska, I hope it is like that lol! Had my last supervision today and my sup is happy with what I'm about to submit so fingers crossed!

Also just realised this should be on the 'off-topic' section- just so used to posting in the 'PhD life' section. Sorry mods!

Best, KB

D

I don't think it's something of the moment - it's been depressing for years and year. But then good, positive news rarely makes headlines.

I always used to love the local news back home, the last story was always a nice little feelgood story, I remember a story once about a wolfwhistling pig (I think, might have been a sheep!).

D

Same here! I just can't watch the news. Before I met my boyfriend I didn't have a tv cause I was watching all my favorite series online and if I wanted to know the news I would read it online. I was a happier person!!! My boyfriend practically has the TV on 24/7 which drives me mad! It's exhausting hearing of everything that is wrong with the world every single day!

A good example of that is this: 3 years ago when I still lived with flatmates, we didn't have a tv. My flatmate's sister and husband came to visit and his brother-in-law said: "I just noticed you don't have a tv! I've been feeling so much more relaxed not watching the news every day!". We were like.. "yeah! it affects you so much less when you don't have it in your face. You just read what you want online and that's it. No reporter dramatising the story and making you wonna kill yourself".

I

Do I find the news chilling? The BBC news website most definitely!