Anyone else wasted the break?

P

Did anyone here kinda waste the break?

I suddenly got a project (good pay, good intellectual work) that took away 6 clean days, and I read over 125 articles and wrote 8000 words for it, and thats done.

But thats not my PHD work :(, and I also completed 2 financial aid applications.

And completed getting adverts and equipments in place for my end Jan early Feb fieldwork.

And put together a 4000 word piece for a publication, thats due for submission in early Jan. But thats from stuff I wrote earlier, so no new material!

But apart from that I have ZILCH to show. I have not read for my Phd, and I have done nothing else. i have written nothing, read nothing. spent all the time on cooking, travelling, entertaining friends, celebrating my Bday in xmas week, and chatting with family...

GOSH i feel so guilty...and drained out with nothing :-s

I'd consider that a very productive break!!! Sounds like you did a hell of alot to me. But, yes, I constanty feel as though I am behind and wasting time.

W

Definitely sounds like a productive break to me. I had a full 2 weeks off, haven't read anything or even given my PhD more than a passing thought, start back tomorrow so the feeling of back to work blues / dread is setting in! Although reading lots of the posts on here has got me slightly concerned that I'm not committed enough, although not concerned enough to actually read anything!

I wouldn't worry, you definitely sound like you kept your brain active and the break will probably have done you good. :-)

OMG - you feel guilty after doing all that!? I did nothing. Since 15th dec I have done nothing - today I cleaned my office to hopefully be bothered to start work tomorrow - but who knows what TV tomorrow will bring!

P

Guys I feel so happy to read these responses! I was so depressed today trying to make my way through the blasted financial applications. Its such a horrid waste of time, trying to package your research for people who know next to nothing (which is good practice i admit) and then working out nitty gritties of what money under what slot and then,....for all you know nothing may come of it..and all i have in hand is a backache from stooping at the damn laptop, and bleary eyes!

Gosh, dont i sound like a very very bitter bug...bad signs so early in the year !!

Thanks you guys! Feelin better after reading your replies :)

Well, I'm just realising that I've spent the last year or so reading books cover to cover (7 or 8 plus!!!!) with no good reason and most of them barely relevant to my research. So how's that for wasting time???? Just thanking the great PhD in the sky I changed supervisors. You've got loads and loads done!!!

P

Heyyy Eska!

Dont read books Cover to COver! Like...EVER!

I mean, if they are core texts, like key to your conceptual framework or something, thats different..but or else no no....

Best!!

C

I last went into the office on the 19th December. Since then I have sent two impartant emails (one I should have sent ages ago and only sent yesterday oops) and that is it. I have done ZILCH! well some marking but that's not really for my PhD. Going back in tommorrow. Don't really want to!

I

I have been also relaxing for about 10-days. i'm gonna call it off. going back to work tomorrow. can't wait. i don't feel guilty because i need the break.

L

I totally dont get how you wasted the break. You did loads. I feel crap now. lol

P

LP i feel so totally drained out with stuff thats got nothing to do with the phd, that i feel iys een a wasye phd wise, thats all.

Maybe I need a cheering charm done on me....

R

Whether it was wasted or not is a bit relative to me. I haven't churned out the corrected chapters I wanted to over the 'break' which isn't great for the submission sword of Damocles hovering over my head, so maybe I did waste loads of time as far as my PhD goes. On the other hand, I was seriously knackered by Christmas, mentally and physically, and needed a rest, so I've done things a bit more slowly than I'd have liked. That's ok really, as it *should* help me get back into it better now I'm a bit more rested and feeling the onset of sporadic deadline panic again.

As for you Phdbug - a wasted break??!! I seriously don't think so!!!!

B

Whoa, PhDBug...

Slow down... *chuckle* Sounds to me like you've managed to do plenty over the break. One thing to bear in mind is that the things you do on your other 'research' are also helpful for the PhD. The PhD isn't just about the thesis at the end of the day, it's about learning how to be a researcher too. So, writing for publication, seeking funding, etc... that's all good experience (just think - post-doc time). It's important to have 'me' time too - so all of those other things, sandwiched between PhD and work demands are good for you - they help you keep balance and a sense of perspective. :-) So, something to keep in mind as you journey along with your PhD - time away from the work isn't always 'wasted' time... and time spent producing other things is also productive time... and not really 'zilch'. :-) Wishing you a fun and fruitful 2009... with the joys of alternativity...

S

i took a complete two week BREAK (spot the important word in that sentence anyone?!) because i felt i needed to. i don't feel any guilt and it certainly wasn't wasted time because i enjoyed myself! i now feel refreshed and ready to get stuck back into work today.

phdbug - i know that like me you are in your first year so don't put so much pressure on yourself! your entire life doesn't have to taken up with phd stuff, you can do other things as well. well done for having such a productive xmas, now those other things are out of the way you can get back to focusing on your phd.

happy new year everyone! :-)

P

Thanks you guys, I guess I was just getting 5th-January-back-to-the-department Blues yesterday :) :)

And Bakuvia, your phrase abt alternativity was stunning!

Urrrgh got to go out now, its cold, and one more term has started and I want to get under the quilts like a rug bug.

Good luck to all for productive and fun days ahead(up):p