Approaching a supervisor

U

Hi all,

First time poster here, since I am just beginning my PhD hunt. :)

I have recently approached a potential PhD supervisor in the UK, who has expressed interest in my proposed research topic. He replied quickly and asked to see some of my earlier research done on the topic.

After that initial exchange I haven't heard back from him yet. What would be a polite way of inquiring if he's had an opportunity to read through the work I sent him, and how long should I wait before doing so? I am aware that I am likely not high on the list of priorities and it's still August, so I don't want to seem pushy.

P

You seem very polite, so I think you should just email the supervisor back and ask politely. He won't be upset. I would wait a couple of weeks and then email him.

U

Many faculty members are on holidays right now so i agree leave it for a couple of weeks. Good Luck

U

Thank you, really appreciate the reply. I actually have one more question which I didn't think of until a friend of mine pointed it out just now.

During my initial mail I mentioned that I have some background knowledge on the topic due to a research proposal I'd written on it earlier this year. In his reply he stated that he is interested in my ideas, and if I could send him my proposal to take a look at. My understanding was that he wanted to see the proposal I mentioned (perhaps to get a general impression about my arguments and writing style), whereas my friend says that he almost certainly meant that he already wanted to see my PhD proposal (which I do not yet have, as this was just an initial contact to see if there was any prospect for the topic I want to choose). What would you have thought?

U

I would agree with your perception of the e-mail that he wanted to see the proposal which you had already written. Although I am not sure what the difference would be in terms of the one you wrote before and the PhD proposal you have yet to write as I am assuming they will have the same background knowledge unless new papers/evidence means you need to update the research proposal you have already written.

If in doubt ask the potential supervisor in question but sometimes it is best to present your ideas in person as these are your ideas so protect them.

U

Quote From Unbelievable:
I would agree with your perception of the e-mail that he wanted to see the proposal which you had already written. Although I am not sure what the difference would be in terms of the one you wrote before and the PhD proposal you have yet to write as I am assuming they will have the same background knowledge unless new papers/evidence means you need to update the research proposal you have already written.

If in doubt ask the potential supervisor in question but sometimes it is best to present your ideas in person as these are your ideas so protect them.

I appreciate it, definitely a relief. :) Let's see how it goes, if I don't get a reply I will politely mention this dilemma when I send another email in a few weeks.