Art students?

C

I'm still rather new to this forum, so please forgive me if I'm asking quite an obvious question. I was just wondering if there were any art subject phd'ers on this forum (literature, history, etc)?

So far I've mostly seen science & some social science students posting, which is great, but not having that whole lab/survey aspect to my phd I'm looking for those who might be sharing a similar experience of loose hours as it were. I just would like to know how you manage to organize your time? Do you impose a structure on yourself, as if it were a 9 to 5 job or do you have different techniques?

I

Hey,

I'm in the arts and I have to admit that I dislike the whole idea of coming in at set times and feeling disappointed if you don't meet these fictitious times (like 9-5), rather I like the idea of doing a set amount of hours each day so if that is 1500 till 2300 so be it. The key is to find when you work the best and maximise your time around those hours, and they differ for everyone. But don't try to be a morning person if you aren't or just because 9-5 seems like the norm.

D

Hey Clairette,

Your question is quite relevant to many social science and non-lab based science students too! I did a science based subject that didn't involve having to come into a lab and did exactly what intheheadplease suggests - some days I'd do very little work, some days I'd do 15 hours, sometimes I'd work early in the morning, sometimes late at night. One of the great things about a PhD, especially if you work from home a lot (as I did) is managing your own time and schedule. I hate the whole 9-5 thing, it's completely counterproductive if you're not geared up to work around those hours. And don't feel guilty about it either - it's much better to go with things on a roll than force it unnaturally.

N

History of Art FTW! :D

I try to impose a loose structure, although it has been knocked about a bit recently. I find that going to the library, instead of working from home, is quite motivating, because there are fewer distractions and you are there for the specific purpose of working. It is quite possible to put in 4 productive hours a day, rather than doing a 9-5 schedule for the sake of it.