Athens and Journal access

P

Hi
I am between degrees, I finished my MSc in Nov. and I start my PhD (officially) in Sept. The problem is, that my Athens account has been cancelled by my old uni and the new one won't issue me with a new password until September. This is really frustrating as I have started already to try and cram this big PhD into 3 years, together with my supervisor's support. He has tried to get me earlier access to no avail. Is there anyway to join Athens without going through registration day or are there other databases that are easier to access journals free. I have been here two hours and managed to download ONE full-text. I know my svisor will help me by accessing them all for me but I really don't want keep bothering him.

K

Hi PinkNeuron, know the feeling, I had that problem between MSc and PhD too. Other than paying for access, or finding the odd free issue of a journal at their website (or an occasional free article on google) I didnt have much luck. Any friends' Athens logins you can 'borrow'?

P

I am so cautious that I would keep thinking that I was going to get a flash on my screen saying FRAUD!! I know, really silly but that's just me. I was wondering if there was actually a way to just get access 'legally'. I have been offered one from someone but they are in IT and I tried once but can't access anything neuropsychologically-related. I will just keep chipping away at the ones I can access and when my supervisor has finished my funding proposal, I will bug him again to send me some papers through.

K

I'm in neuropsychology too - if there's anything you really need let me know and I'll see if I've got the pdf!

P

Oh wow, what a coincidence, thanks KitKat, I may have two papers that I would REALLY like...will let you know

P

Seeman, T. E., Lusignolo, T. M., Albert, M., & Berkman, L. (2001). Social relationships, social support, and patterns of cognitive aging in healthy, high-functioning older adults: MacArthur studies of successful aging. Health Psychology, 20, 243-255.

Salthouse, T. A., Berish, D. E., Miles, J. D. (2002). The role of cognitive stimulation on the relations between age and cognitive functioning. Psychology and Aging, 17, 548-557.

Newson, R. S., & Kemps, E. B. (2005). General lifestyle activities as a predictor of current cognition and cognitive change in older adults: A cross-sectional and longitudinal examination. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 60B, P113-P120.

P

KitKat or anyone else out there
Here are three of the papers I would really like very much, if anyone has them, would you pleeeease mind sending them onto me? I will send you a virtual cup of tea and biscuit
PinkNeuron
(PinkNeuron at Joyful dot me dot uk)
Thank you thank you thank you so much anyone that can help

P

Can you join the library at your previous university as an Alumni? I don't know whether this would entitle you to an Athens password as well but it is worth a try.

P

pamw, I hadn't thought of that...I have been invited to be an Alumni, I will have a look now on my student page...thanks

P

My Alumni will offer me a Platinum Mastercard but not Athens
Due to licensing arrangements etc. .......

P

Thank you so much
I now have these papers thanks so very much...
(Virtual Tea and Biscuit)

K

glad someone else could get you these articles pinkneuron, i got here too late to help!

P

Thanks anyway, kitkat, if I don't get something else sorted in the next couple of weeks, I may need to ask you a favour then
Have a good day, mine will be better now

S

Did you ask about library access as an alumni?

P

Sixkitten, I have looked at the site and my student page but all they offered me was a platinium credit card and library onsite access. They said I couldn't get Athens due to regulations etc. I have sent an additional email as well, so will try again ...