ATT:lets be kind to the international students

J

Without offending anyone or taking party, this Simuzosha is a pain in the neck - or did I just lose my patience with this ridicule attempt to defend stupid requests by brainless idiots who are too lazy to conduct a Google search?
Anyway, peace on Earth and PhDs for everyone.

B

I accept that I am blunt and unfeeling and all the rest of it, but more than most people here know that I am angry. Perhaps if you had seen what I have seen you would be too.

The way I see it is that most people in this line of work will spin you a fairy story. At least I respect people enough not to.

S

I Guess the word 'offending' has a new meaning

S

BADHAIRCUT

Its allowed to be angry but do it with tact.

J

what makes me angry is the generous use of CAPITAL letters

S

I think pple of with outstanding academic record ie phd students, should not reduce themselves to name calling.

make your point fair and square.

S

Well Badhaircut I think I have plenty to feel angry about - maybe we should start a new thread and go point-to-point on the shit we have had heaped on us. But that is our baggage to deal with and not something to fuel hostility at passing bystanders.

S

Well jouri could you at least start your sentence with one..?

S

I have been married three successful years because I have mastered the power of the spoken word.
its not what you say but how you say that matters most

J

I think this is all getting out of control. BHC is just a bit angry at the world - understandably - after he completed his PhD but lost his girlfriend, wasn't offered a job and is now a Postdoc with some weirdos who delete other peoples' work. On the other hand, Smilodon tries to be nice and has a good point to make but then this Smishawateva comes in and talks rubbish. So let's all be friends and cool down - like the current British weather.

J

And I disagree with the last statement: it is what you say rather than how you say it that matters. Sometimes the world needs harsh words, otherwise bad things continue to happen.

S

Well I guess we must agree to differ there. There is a time to be ruthlessly blunt but we're not talking about the invasion of Poland here - this is just a freakin' chat forum.

S

Smilodon

A PhD must be one life changing experience. Have you read the threads about good supervisor/bad supervisor.

I wonder which one some of us will be if we take the academia route

Anyways I think there is enough good pple in the world to cancell all the bad ones out

S

I think it's like being a parent. Some parents treat their children badly because that's how they were treated. And other parents treat their children well because the were treated badly themselves.

So it is with academics. Some will not give the support they were denied themselves. And others will give it because they they idn't have it themselves and want to improve on the status quo.

S

You make a good point.

I think I often stand up for the marginalised because I was too at one point in my life, until I thought you know what I am not going to have it anymore and I stood up for myself.

I dont mean to seek an audience, because I am long done feeling sorry for myself. I was bulled in skool, and God help me will not live to see my child go thru the same. When I have one of course , my be 2yrs into my PhD (fingers crossed)