Awful Supervisor

L

Hi, I just wondered if anyone else had any experience with a horrible supervisor and can offer me some advice? I'm now in my third year, and although I can kind of see the end in sight, in many ways it still seems so far away. My supervisor is controlling, a bully, aggressive and knows little about my area of research. What makes it worse is the fact that I only have her as a supervisor, there no-one else to advise me at all. She pushes me to do things that I don't agree with, and I find it hard to take her advice as my work is predominantly social science-based, and she is not a social scientist in any way. I've spoken to the head of my school about it, but he's a bit of a pushover and because I don't want to complain about her formally, they're unwilling to help me in any way. Sometimes, I really just feel like giving up. I'm not even sure if my research is good enough for a PhD as I have no guidance from a social science research perspective. I can't believe the uni would allow students to end up in this situation, but it appears as though they do. You really are on your own when doing a PhD!

W

Doesn't sound like a good place to be in.

To your question: I am assuming you have talked to your supervisor about the situation already. I know that if I keep quiet on matters of poor supervision, the school would let me fall into that position. (Fortunately, I am not situated like you are.) I guess they figured that I got myself into that situation and I can either ask for help with supporting ideas or dig my way out. However, I do not always follow the established unwritten rules. I would probably start talking to other people in the department who are more closely aligned with my research interests, just to have somebody to talk with. If it felt like things were moving along well and they would be open to the possibility of a supervisor role, ask them.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

C

======= Date Modified 10 Sep 2012 16:42:00 =======
In relation to being pushed in directions you don't want to go, its probably easiest to pick your battles - do what your supervisor suggests unless you feel its really wrong for what you're aiming at. That way hopefully both end up doing some give and take.

My supervisor is not really in the field that's turned out to be the main element of my work. I'd suggest keeping a look out for relevant conferences to your field (in addition to your supervisors field) so you can get feedback from people there. If your first degree was social science might you approach any of your lecturers for advice? I'm considering this but am not sure if its the done thing to go back and nag past lecturers.

Good luck and I think it would be a shame to give up when you've got so far.

B

What have you done to make contact with social scientists at your institution? Presumably if you are this unhappy then it will have come up as an issue at your upgrade and annual reviews? Have you followed up extra methods training courses etc? Would that give you some contacts that you could talk to regarding methodology or theory questions to make you feel more secure? (Bearing in mind that people will normally want to clear this with your supervisor to avoid treading on toes).
Unfortunately, if you are not willing to make a proper complaint then the university is unlikely to do anything. From their perspective, you did agree to start a PhD in a different field with no-one really able to supervise the topic, so in some ways, particularly if you've let it go this long, then they are going to assume things are OK unless you really tell them they are not. Is the relationship with your supervisor now irrepairable? I appreciate from your OP that you dislike her and have little respect for her - are the feelings mutual? If so, then you've nothing to lose - you presumably aren't looking to work in this field but in your social science one, so there would seem to be less danger in burning bridges than usual.