Been rejected AGAIN

I

======= Date Modified 15 42 2008 17:42:22 =======
Hi. There are a few questions I would like to ask about application of FUNDING Phd (Mainly biomedical science, molecular biology or neuroscience) in UK. I am a EU citizen, so I am able to apply some of the funding PhD programmes. Fortunately, I was invited for the interviews for last couple applications, but they all turned me down. I thought I was well prepared for all these interviews and they asked typical questions as usual, I didn't see I acted too nervous or made any mistakes during the interview. I don't know why I got rejected. Sometimes I wish they can tell me the reason(s). I am not trying to brag here but I do have quite many lab working experiences coz I spent every summer in uni to work with different research teams since I got into uni. Also the work I am doing now is related to the field of medical science (Working in a pharmacology department now). I feel quite fustrated about being turned down again and again... I wish someone can share their experience of looking for a phd project. My ex project supervisor told me he only got few replies when he applied more than 20 universities. Is it really that difficult to get into PhD ? (P.S My final result in uni is 2:1 but I haven't gone for the further study such as Msc or MPil)

H

Have you asked (and received) feedback after they have turned you down? It might be that there is someone who has the edge on you when you go for these interviews, even things like, already know the supervisor etc. The areas you mention are quite competitive.

C

In the UK prospective employers are obliged to give you feedback on your interview if asked for and I cant see why unis would not do the same. Ask and they will probably be happy to tell you then you can see if it is something you can change (more experience, different answering style, better english, whatever) or something you cant. It is just likely that there is someone else who is better than you at each interview or more suited to that post rather than that you are doing something wrong. But they will certainly be able to give you pointers and it may keep you in their minds for future positions as they will ahve spoken to you again personally. i would certainly admire someones initiative in following up an interview rejection.

T

Don't worry too much. I had a lot of knockbacks when I was applying for PhD's.. Sometimes there was someone better qualified, sometimes I had better qualifications but the successful candidate had more relevant lab experience so was preferable, othertimes the PhD went to an undergrad who did work in the lab for their dissertation and othertimes funding restrictions meant the project didn't go ahead.. REgarding masters degrees.. An MSc is not usually necessary for doing a science PhD, a good 2:1 or a first is usually all you need 8-)

C

I would say keep at it, having a masters can give you an edge and for all you know some other applicant may have just pipped you in the end because of one. It is dissappointing to get rejected for sure, i have a 2:2 in a biochemistry degree along with a masters and therefore it gets tough getting over that final hurdle, i think it's about 10 or so interviews to date 6 rejection and waiting on 4 more :-(. How do you feel your interviews are going? do you manage to highlight your lab work experience effectively?

Here is an interview tips PDF which i felt highlioghted some key points you should get across when interviewing, of course this example is for people who already have a PhD but certain aspects are still applicable.
http://career.eng.ohio-state.edu/documents/ho-interview-tips-phd-candidates.pdf

All in all keep at it, it is a marathon not a sprint and though some people get it first time for others it may take a bit longer.

Regards Wolfe

E

Hi ! I applied to read a phD in Jan but I wasnt sure with myself that I really wanted to do a phD. Anyway , I had two interviews and been rejected both times . To be honest, I was rather happy I been rejected because I realise after the interviews ,it wasnt right for me (I didnt like the atmosphere) . Now I got a well-paid job (Marketing) which I enjoy and I have never look back in doing research.

I

Hi. Thank you very much for sharing of your advices. I realised that even though I can get the position, thing won't go well if the supervisor and I do not get alone well. Therefore being rejected is not too bad at all. At the mean time, I will ask for the feedbacks and prepare for my coming interview. I shall not give up applying the project I am interested in.

Thank you

B

======= Date Modified 02 Sep 2008 10:38:35 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Dude, you dont want to do a PhD. Trust me. Its pointless and s***.

O

======= Date Modified 02 Sep 2008 10:40:27 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============

Quote From billclinton:

Dude, you dont want to do a PhD. Trust me. Its pointless and S***.

LOL!

P

U should take MA or MPhil or New Route for Phd scheme.

Pray for u. Bless.