Bibliography is causing me problems

P

How do other people find EndNote and what style does anyone else use in the humanities? I have been using Chicago and now my supervisor says I need single quotes rather than double on journal entries meaning I have to go through by hand and change them all. Then she said use Modern Humanities Research Association but in EndNote that comes out numbered and surname last and she wants surname first, which again means doing it by hand. She says she does all her bibliographies manually but that will take ages. Any ideas??

Can't you make your own style in endnote, so it automatically changes all your entries? - i.e. if you want first name first/last.

J

I have a similar problem! I know how I like my refs to look and can type them out without really thinking about it. ENdnote however, likes it different. I have tried the harvard and chicago methods and I just don't like how it looks... so I have to change them by hand... :((. Kind of defeats the object - i wish there was a way to customise endnote...

Doesn't help you though I am afraid! I sympathise though...

P

Oh yes, I've just remembered you can customise it, Brilliant. Thanks sneaks

P

You can modify a style based on a style already in EndNote, so I can use Chicago but change the quotes bit, I hope. I'll have a go and if anyone wants any advice on how to do it, I will try to pass it on.

C

I have another endnote question. Hope you don't mind me putting it here.

I use APA 5th, and mostly all is normal, but two references come up wiht the initially preceeding the name within the text. I don't think it's to do with inputting, as I take thinkgs directly from either pubmed or web of science.
Any idea why it's like this or what can be done?

J

how do you customise it??

P

Jayney, I am really busy and been out all day but I will let you know how to customise EndNote when I have a spare min. It is quite straightforward.

go to 'edit' then 'output styles' then 'new style' I think. Or I think you will be able to go into APA and modify it and save it under a new style.

Catalin bond - don't always trust downloading them from a database e.g. import to endnote from google scholar, as they often change the formatting. Most annoyingly into uppercase! I would go and have a look at the two refs you mentioned and manually change them back to the correct format.

J

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu!

A

I use Word 2007 which has an in-built referencing function, so I don't need to use Endnote at all. I find it really good to use, as it is simple to add or insert a new reference when you are writing without having to go to another program first. I am in the education field and APA is the standard here in Australia.