Big Disappoiment with Supervisor - Planning to drop out

J

Hello Friends,
At present I am in the end of 1st year Ph.d (Theoretical Physics). And, I am getting fund through UGC. From my date of joining till date my Supervisor have never guided me or taught me any of the work. I have been learning everything from my seniors. Also, my supervisor gives me additional task of typing tender quotations and other office works. And, most time is spent in typing such quotations. And, at end he asks '"what work have you done this one year. "
I have two symposium papers at present. My supervisor have not gone through any of my work or corrected the paper. He has not updated his work after guiding 3 peoples.Also, the first three peoples have split supervisor's Ph.d work and have submitted the improved version. I could find all these only after 6 months. He uses all his Ph.d students to work as office people. Since, I am receiving fund he threatens me to do all his works.
I am much stressed and lost interest in Ph.D. Now I am planning to drop out. But, I am half minded. If I drop out after getting fellowship for an year , without publishing any paper will I have to repay the amount .
If any one have such bad experience ?
What can I do more?

It's in the name. He's a supervisor, not a teacher. You're there to research. Best of luck.

J

But at least he need to supervise the work and allow me to do my research work.

A

Have you raised the issue with him? Have you said "I am struggling to complete my research due to the amount of unrelated work I am being given. Is this a common issue for students?"

J

Yes, I spoke to him about this. He said it is part of my phd. I tried to explain the difficulty i am facing. But he started to threaten me . That I am receiving fellowship without doing any research work. He knows all issues but he want s his work to be completed. He do not find time to speak research work. And, this situation is still worser with my senior scholars under the same professor. They are in 5th year without any paper work. They could not speak much with him as they have wasted 5 years. I am much afraid on seeing them.

D

I agree with Eds that a supervisor is not a teacher. Clearly requiring you to do lots of work for him is not appropriate either, although experience in helping on grant applications (if that's what you're doing) is pretty useful TBH. If the problem is not resolvable by speaking to him, then you can go to his boss eg the head of the department or dean for research. The university will not want to lose the funding you have brought.

J

And its my bad luck he is also the head of the department. I have also raised this issue with the university research coordinator. He warned me for making false comment on my professor. Am receiving ugc bsrfellowship. This Nov my 1st year gets ended. I don't know he 'll creat some problem if I quit.