BOOK CHAPTER OR JOURNAL ARTICLE

A paper of mine got accepted at a conference but could not travel cause of funding.

I then found out a call for Book Chapters, the editors are people of good standing.

There is an opportunity to publish there.

What is better a book chapter or a journal article?

* Publication in the book Chapter is free😋

What has more value at Ph.D level?

E

Be ware of publishers who are not doing anything except trying to get material for free. They talk to you as you are getting the benefit while actually they take your work for free and sell it for a price.
Now, what matters to you is your own benefit. I think the call for a book chapter night have been made to many authors. It might not be a real call. If you submit to a decent journal and got accepted, this is definitely something. I agree that journals also do the same (take your work for free and sometimes you even pay) and sell it for a price. But this is another story. Long story short, I would go for the journal.

I think it depends a lot on the field, quality of the journal/book and the research itself. In science, journals are usually better for original research and book chapters are better for reviews. The two mediums have different audiences, as a journal is usually more technical and can have limited scope while book chapters should be more accessible and general in scope. Also journals are more likely to get cited. Though a chapter does look good on a CV and harder to get (in my field at least). It is hard to give hard advice but I think journal articles are usually safer.

Thanks a million. Indeed good advice.

The paper is like a review. Firstly using existing data and then uses literature in that data context.

Almost like a review! Indeed Book Chapters are hard to find in my field too, so wanted to take this opportunity and see what it does for me!

Got really good feedback from the editors, So I am caught in between🤔. Editors are highly competent in the field!

Quote From eng77:
Be ware of publishers who are not doing anything except trying to get material for free. They talk to you as you are getting the benefit while actually they take your work for free and sell it for a price.
Now, what matters to you is your own benefit. I think the call for a book chapter night have been made to many authors. It might not be a real call. If you submit to a decent journal and got accepted, this is definitely something. I agree that journals also do the same (take your work for free and sometimes you even pay) and sell it for a price. But this is another story. Long story short, I would go for the journal.

Very insightful.

I was really considering the Book Chapters, for the CV. Mainly coz paper is just a review.

However, I am having second thoughts. Not sure How to proceed. But the Editors are highly qualified in the area, and have given great feedback on the draft outline.

Kind of confused!!

Quote From eng77:

In your situation, I'd stick with journal articles for the time being and wait until I've accumulated more knowledge and experience before considering book chapters; and then I'd want to write the whole book, not just a single chapter.

The question you asked has already been answered and the consensus seems to be to go for the journal article: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Article_publication_or_Book_Chapter_which_one_is_considered_more_important